Help on getting blades off

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by san28734, Jul 21, 2006.

1. san28734

san28734 LawnSite Member

First time taking the blades off my Cub. Not sure what these bolts are torqued to at the factory, but I am at a loss. I took the deck off, flipped it over, have the blade blocked with a wood block, I have my 18" breaker bar and a hammer, NO movement. I have the bolts soaking in Fluid Film right now. What am I missing?:confused:

2. sweatyclippingcoveredguy

sweatyclippingcoveredguy LawnSite Member

any mechanic would tell you HEAT.

If you don't have a torch or anything, you're just going to have to put some PB blaster on it and let it sit for awhile. Are the nuts rusted over bad?

3. sweatyclippingcoveredguy

are you using a socket and a wrench?

4. san28734

san28734 LawnSite Member

Nope, the machine is less than two months old, first time the blades are coming off. It has 15 hours on it.

5. san28734

san28734 LawnSite Member

yup, 6pt socket and breaker bar

6. ahah

ahah LawnSite Member
    from 5

Righty tighty, lefty loosy. Seriously, you need a persuader like a 4 foot piece of pipe. Stick the breaker bar into the pipe and torque it off.

edit: I don't think applying heat to a bolt that is directly in a spindle is a good idea.

7. sweatyclippingcoveredguy

I'm at a loss. If you have easily replacable bolts you can always grind it off and just get new bolts. If the threads are stripped or anything you're better off just grinding it off. I gashed my thumb Really bad from the blades a few weeks ago just trying to muscle it. Maybe someone else can help you.

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Impact driver? WD-40 take your time and don't strip them. Just an Idea. I wouldn't put them on with an impact driver. This may not be a good idea but its what I would try if all else failed.

9. san28734

san28734 LawnSite Member

i tried some heat, but was worried about the spindle grease as well. No luck there, I'm off to HD for a 4ft piece of pipe.

I've never seen anything like it. Thanks you guys.

10. san28734

san28734 LawnSite Member

I've been telling my wife we REALLY need that compressor and impact wrench, but she hasn't fallen for it yet.