help on honda's new 21"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by farmer58, Apr 2, 2004.

1. farmer58

farmer58 LawnSite Member

I purchased a used honda hr215hxa last year.great bagger but it does not have a discharge chute which i now need. I visited the honda dealer today and he was showing me the new hrx217 which has a rear discharge. Has anyone used this unit yet , does it lay down the clippings uniform, and does it mulch because in my opinion the 215 that i own does not.:confused:
  2. farmer58

farmer58 LawnSite Member

Any help out there honda owners. i am thinking about trading.
  3. rtreehntr

rtreehntr LawnSite Member
    from pa

Farmer58.......sorry for the real late reply on the Honda HXR. I own a honda 215 commercial and it will except a mulching kit. I'm not sure if that is the question you are asking or just saying it doesn't mulch with the kit. I'm not sure if honda makes a mower with a side discharge shoot, but i know my HRX217HXA and HRX215 mulch like nothing else i've tried!!

Hope this helps and if you would like to sell your hondas please let me have 1st crack at them.

4. soonernation

soonernation LawnSite Member
    from Okc OK

I have the 216 commercial and the toro recycler puts it to shame. They give you a plug and you add a second blade which seems to throw off the height. Not very pleased with the mulching on this mower. It bags beautifully.
  5. I have, a hrx with the hydro its more a high end home owner has the new mulching sytem on it you can bag clipping's and mulch at the same time .They need to rig this mulching system on the high end 216 hydro because it mulchs like s h it bags as good as any 21 just dont mulch worth a lick.

The hrx has that mower deck that looks like plastic and the wheels are plastic and not steel.

If mulchs fawlessly on my lawn even better then my toro proline do!!

Here's some info off the honda site about the new mulch system

The Honda HRX is a new lawnmower line pioneering the unique Versamow System™ that can, for the first time on any mower simultaneously distribute grass clippings to both the bag and the ground. The HRX features a powerful 6.5-hp Honda GCV overhead cam engine with a choice of 3-speed or Cruise Control Hydrostatic transmission.

• Versamow System™ The Honda Versamow System™ has been designed to be a complete 4 in 1 mowing system delivering the ultimate in flexibility. It allows for maximum mowing performance and flexibility, affording the HRX user to select either the bagging or mulching configuration – or any combination of the two – by easily rotating the Versamow System’s™ clip director. The clip director is a lever located behind the engine cowling and allows the operator to:

> - Mulch 100 percent of clippings
    - Bag 100 percent of clippings
    - Rear discharge
    - Simultaneously mulch and bag or rear discharge in varying degrees through 10 separate settings

The system also offers a setting for leaf shredding where leaves are recirculated until they are small enough to pass through the Versamow opening and into the bag. All this can take place without a conventional mulch plug and the labor-intensive conversion associated with most mowers.

> • The Honda MicroCut™ Twin Blade system uses four cutting surfaces to cut grass into tiny pieces that quickly decompose and add nutrients to a lawn. This special design is exclusive to Honda, and it produces finer clippings for superior mulching. The MicroCut™ Twin Blade system also creates superior bagging: finer clippings take up less volume, so the bag fills up less often. Homeowners can now mow between 40 to 50% further than conventional bagging mowers before having to empty the bag.

• Honda’s exclusive Xenoy® deck will never rust, dent or corrode. It carries a 5-year warranty and is strong enough to support the weight of a car.

• Features 7 mowing heights with a range from 3/4" to 4". Larger 9" wheels mean smoother movement over varied terrain.

> • Folding handle helps the HRX fit in tight spaces for convenient storage.

Powerful GCV190 Overhead Cam (OHC) 6.5 HP Engine
    3-speed Transmission
    Versamow System™
    Xenoy® Deck
    Microcut™ Twin Blades
    9-inch Wheels
    Flywheel Brake
    Powerful GCV190 Overhead Cam (OHC) 6.5 HP Engine
    Hydrostatic Cruise Control Transmission
    Versamow System™
    Xenoy® Deck
    Microcut™ Twin Blades
    9-inch Wheels
  6. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

The HR series is called the Masters. It is a bagging mower!!! Wont mulch well.
    The HRX is mor of a mulcher and if you raise the front wheels 1 notch it is the best i have ever used!

I also used the HRC 216 to mulch and it did just fine in my area. Granted it is designed to bag better than mulch, but it did just fine for me.

And remember A machine is designed to do one or the other well. You can not have the best bagger and best mulcher in one machine!
  7. theweedman

theweedman LawnSite Member

thats my mower, i just started out this season. i bought the honda hrx217tda to get me by for now (i only mow real small lawns) this mower mulches and does great on my zoyzias, centipedes and one st. augastine lawn i mow. i have one bermuda lawn loaded with crabgrass that is a huge pita to mow if its even slightly damp from rain earlier in the week. the mower will bog down and shut off. i'm not wanting to bag all the clippings., i guess next week i can try bagging half and mulching half. any suggestions? i have to cut this lawn 5 or 6 more times this season, hopefully my mower won't die b4 then because of this lawn. i am not gonna be getting a commercial mower until next season, so trying to make this thing last.