Help on Hydroseeding

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by AndrewBest, Jun 23, 2008.

1. AndrewBest

AndrewBest LawnSite Member

Hey guys I'm thinking of getting into the hydroseeding bussiness wanted some input on this side of Landscaping.. Looking for any input at all from what equipment is the best to pricing and what are the best jobs to bid.. thanks .. -Andrew-:drinkup:

2. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I've been looking into a small hydro set up just to start out, and to see if i can sell the product with out loosing my ass on it. A small set up was something like $4,500 for a 300 gallon tank for the back of my truck or trailer.

3. AndrewBest

what is a good price for hydroseeding is it by the foot the yard or how do you bid it.. 4500.00 is not that bad i found a 900 gal. on ebay for 5200.00 on a trailer..

4. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I was reading some info off a google search and the website was saying that you can purchase the material for like 5 cents a square foot and charge 18 cent a sqft and make a good profit???

5. Turboguy

Turboguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you will find your cost per square ft will be more in the 2 cent a square feet range. Most guys charge by the square foot and a few price by the tankload. You might get 18 cents on small jobs but bigger ones are likely to be a little cheaper. It can vary on where you are and the competion. I am mostly getting 8 to 12 cents a foot right now. I see guys in parts of the country that get less and some that get a lot more. One of the things to do that helps keep your price up is to sell it against sod. If you sell it as in a few weeks they will have a lawn that looks like sod but is healthier and better quality and a third of the price it lets you get more than saying it is better than dry seeding and just a little more.

6. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

18 cents :laugh: I once in a while will charge per tank maybe like 2 loads 600.00 ( 500 gal. tank. ) E-mail me with your # i might need a few things, remember i bought a few things last year. Seeding has been real slow this year for me. bobcatservice33@yahoo.com
    mike

7. Turboguy

When it comes to pricing there are a lot of factors I look at. One of the key ones is water. I am using a 300 gallon unit so most jobs I need to refill and I need to either be able to use the customers water or find a pond stream or fill station nearby (or be close enough to my business to go back). I like to ask about using their water before I give a price. I never have anyone object and have even had guys get their neighbor to agree to let me use their water too so I could run two hoses.

If I have a big job I take along a nurse tank and then I can seed as fast as a big unit. The big plus is I have the water running constantly and can refill in no time. This works great.

Other factors I look at are distance which is always important. I quoted a job yesterday that was an hour and fifteen minutes away. He wanted a hydroseeding assoc member to do it and I was the closest. I added a couple hundred bucks for the travel. If I don't get it that will be the first job I quoted this year that I did not get.

Another factor I look at is the difficulty of a job. For instance today I am doing an erosion control job at a new Tractor Supply Store they are building. It is not an easy job. The grading is rough with roots and branches sticking up that catch my hose. It is fairly steep so there is a lot of climbing. There is no water on site so I have to go back for water (it's close). I have to approach the job from three different directions so I am rolling and unrolling hose more than usual. Since we are nearing the hottest part of summer and there is no water on site and the job won't get watered I have a risk too of having grass that may not come in and have extra costs with getting them happy. Since Andrew asked about costs and profits I will add that I will use about $ 400-500 in materials and I am charging them $ 2500.00 It is about a days work. They are not looking for a lawn. That will come later. They are just looking for something fast growing to keep the soil from washing away

Mike, to your comments I think of myself as charging by the square foot but I know I have had times I looked at a job and thought this is two tank loads I will charge him $ 500.00 ($ 250 a load)

My costs on a load using my 300 gallon Jet unit are

2 50 # bales of mulch at $ 9.95 per bale
    25 pounds of seed at $ 35.00 (one half of a 50 pound bag I pay $ 70.00 for)
    5 pounds of water soluble fert $ 9.00 (25 pound bag =$ 36.95)
    Tackifer about $ 4.00 - 5.00 per load

Just adding that in my head it comes to around $ 69.00 a load.

Of course there are a lot of other costs, gas travel time, equipment repair and depreciation etc.

That covers about 4000 square feet.

8. AndrewBest

hey guys great comments and advise please keep um coming .. This is a huge investment for me and I wanna be fully informed before going through with the investment.. :clapping:

9. Turboguy

One thing I would really recommend if you get into the hydroseeding is to join the HydroSeeding Association. Believe me it is the best $ 100.00 you will ever spend. I get more jobs from that membership than I did from the yellow page ads I used to run for 25 times more money.

10. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Im using 500 gal looks like we are close in line, got your pm will call you 1 day. thanks, Mike