1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help on ideas for wall

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by lawnkid, Apr 12, 2007.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Here are some pictures of a customer's property that I am bidding on to build a wall, install some big evergreens and reseed some areas. The wall will prevent current washout onto the driveway and I think the evergreens will help hold the soil as well. I am debating where I'd like to install the wall and how high I wanna go. My initial thought was to install a wall with a max height of 4.5-5' and stepping it down to maybe 3' at the lowest on the ends and cutting it into the mound (havn't decided on a product yet) This wall would be about two feet back from the driveway following the contours, stretching from the beginning of the mound up to a little past the corvette in the drive(total of about 120 ft). Then install some 5-6' pines on the top of the mound, edge out a bed, and mulch the bed to serve as a noise barrier from this busy road. What are your thoughts of this. I will be engineering this wall out but I'd like to see what your guys thoughts were or if you had any other ideas.

2. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

You do not need a wall against that hill!!! Thats be a waste of the customers money. Just stablize the hill with plantings and sell them a patio!
  3. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Since you are a local suffering Cleveland fan ....

Guess if it was me i would build a small seating wall maybe 20in high along the length really just for the purpose of catching any water to stop the run off and install a drain in front of it to catch the standing water on drive (see last pic). I am assuming you can divert the water somewhere.

The wall would end say 10 ft from the road. I would put an entry way pillar on either side and throw some lights on them.

Grade the mounds off nice throw in some evergreen trees.

4. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

You beat me to it! Yeah, there's no need whatsoever for a wall. If they're willing to pay for a wall they don't need, they won't blink at enough cotoneaster to hold the bottom of the slope!

5. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

I agree that the wall is not needed but if the customer wants it than 5' should be ok for the high spot. What purpose is that mound serving as it is...sight and sound barrier? I would knock it down a bit and just put some plantings that will keep the soil from sliding.
  6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Customers sometimes think stuff is needed that isn't. Personally i'd rather see the people spend money on something they can ENJOY. Like a patio with a built in grill and fire place.

I can see that wall costing atleast 15k. Which would be a waste of money.
  7. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree also.. no need for a wall as it wont stop any of the excess noise. It won't even add any privacy. I'd cut into the slope for the whole length of it and add a flat buffer between the driveway and the hill. This will be a flat mowing strip, and provide and area for water run off, and excess snow in the winter. I would plant some privacy plantings on top of the hill, such as Leyland Cypress, or Dark American Arborvitaes. The problem with putting plantings on a hill is they dry out in the summer, and are subject to being blown over during high winds. You might want to consider ornimental grasses, as they only need a little water and can fill that whole place up rather quickly.
  8. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

You guys are right, I know a wall is not necessarily needed but I will be giving an estimate for one regardless because the customer wants options....

The customer already has a stamped square concrete patio and even though it looks like crap, she is trying to sell the house next year so I doubt she'd be interested in spending big bucks some something she's not gonna enjoy. She just wants to get the hill cleaned up and presentable.

Personally I think a small wall would add a little elegance to that area, especially if like koot said, I could add some pillars and some lights to brighten it up rather than just seeing a big mound of mulch and plants that will just keep washing down onto the driveway, unless I really take a good 3-4 out of that hill, which will not be cheap either for the customer. If I were to take a chunk out of that hill, what plants would you guys recommend I throw on that hillside? The only shrubs I've even used on hillsides have been ajugas(customer's preference). Koot is right, us Cleveland guys are suffering and trying to get any hardscaping jobs if possible. Regardless if the wall goes up, some pines will be installed on the top as well. Thanks
  9. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

How about this? Instead of walling the entire hill, do a retaining wall around the parking pad to clean that area up, and create some beds for a couple of ornamental trees (can you grow cherries in Cleveland?) Then, if you want you could do the pillar/ entry feature at the end, and just plant the heck out of the slope in between. I think that'd be a better use of $$$ for sales appeal.

Driveway copy.jpg
  10. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

What about possibly doing boulder outcroppings throughout the mound. Then plant your evergreens up top for a screen and then shrubs, grasses & perennials throughout.

Use bigger boulders- 3-4' ones...