Help on identifying lawn problem

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by lawnkid, Apr 19, 2006.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering if some of you can help me identify the problem here and tell me a possible solution. We I'm not sure what's goin on here. It's obvious there's a thatch layer but I'm curious as to why. We mow this lawn (not yet) at 3 1/4" and we collect the clippings with the Walker so I mean nothing gets mulched. This lawn is usually really thick and green all year because of irrigation too. The company that does my fertilizer has not done the fertilizing yet because I told them to hold off until I fix this problem. I'm just worried that if I thatch it, a lot of good grass will come out as well and it will be spotty and a lot of weeds will fill in. What would you suggest I go upon doing this including fertilizing so I can tell my friend who does the apps? Thanks

IMG_0367.JPG

IMG_0368.JPG

IMG_0369.JPG

2. wmsland

wmsland LawnSite Member
    from NE OHIO

It looks like just some die back. Run the thatcher over it and blow it out real well. The lawn looks like it is thick enough to survive a thatching, reseed as needed. I do it to all the time never had any problems. You might want to cut it a little shorter before you thatch.

3. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

one of my bigger clients has this problem, i am also looking for the cause

4. Joey bag a' donuts

Joey bag a' donuts LawnSite Member

5. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Wmsland,
    thanks for the quick response. Another syptom of the lawn is when you walk over it, it feels cushiony and crunchy. I am thinking that I will cut it like 2.5", run the thatcher over it, and then overseed maybe, but then weeds are already popping and they might come up before the seed fills in so .... Anybody else have any thoughts. These lawns are part of a long stretch of nice lawns I do and I do not want them to be an eyesore. Thanks again

6. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

It's really hard to tell from those pics. It looks like it could be one of the following: Grey snow mold, 'Helminthosporium' Leaf spot, powdery mildew, or the early stages of summer patch.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It will be fine. It is normal die back from the winter. Mow it, and it will bounce back. If it is just small areas, you can comb it out with a steel tined leaf rake. For broader areas. this is where a JRCO rake shines. It cleans that stuff right out of there.

8. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

It definitely is NOT snow mold.I would say it just needs a good raking.