Help on landscape bid

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by BMLS, Jul 29, 2007.

1. BMLS

BMLS LawnSite Member

I was asked to do a landscape job for a commercial lawn customer. It consists of pulling out 25 8-10ft dead semi dead arborvitae along a parking lotnand dispose of them.

Then plant 26 elmerald green arborvitae and mulch

I am figuring 2 men 4 hrs to dig out, cut and dispose at my dumping area

26 arborvitae costs me with tax 1700.00

2 men planting arborvitae

Mulch 2 yds cost 50.00

I am figuring 2 men 7 hrs to plant and much 26 arborvitae.

So I am thinking 11 hrs 2men for the work
    1750 for materials
    Time picking out and delivery of arborvitae
    140/hr 2 men

For a cost of 4200-4500.

Any help? Thanks

2. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure what you're planning for pulling out the old ones but I think you should apply more time to pull 25 of them out....8 man hours with a shovel isn't enough but if you have a machine to help you, then thats OK. How about dump fees--or is it free for you??? For 2 yards of mulch you charge $50, or that doesn't include markup/warantee??

3. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

IMO...way low on the time est. and the math is off somehow. I would assume a full day for pulling the arbs out and disposing. 2 guys times 9 hours is 18 man hours times $70/hour/man(that seems high too).
    That's 1260 for removal. I think they can do it faster but i would include disposal fees in that number on the est.

Your cost on plants is 1700. I would at the very least double that for warranty purposes and to include install labor. Than add that too the amount for removal.

All in all, the whole job would be around 4700. If it's a job that can get you more work, is a risk, or might take longer than expected...pad up to 4950. That gives you 1485 at 30% margin. Not bad.
    I wouldn't go over 5k because of sticker shock to customer.

Your actual costs:1700 plants, maybe 1000 in labor-your cost, fuel-fixed costs-misc. another 200,
    You stand to make about 1600-1800 if nothing dies and everything goes perfect. You can't plan to make jobs quicker, but you can prepare for the worst and budget for it. Hope this helps.

4. BMLS

BMLS LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. I actually sent the proposal out this morning before I read your posts. I made it foe 4,720. I would say half of the arborvitae are dead. They have been for about 5 years. They just about pop out with a push. The other half will have to be dug but the root system are very shallow.. I can see no more than 4 hrs taking these and cutting out. As far as the much, 40.00 is my cost. I figured loading, driving all into the total price. I put in 26 7-8 fters 2 years ago in 8 hrs 2 guys. These 5-6'ers have half the ball size. So I'm thinking a day and a half. Something always goes wrong. I'm looking at a good profit here. I do alot of lawn cut/maintenance etc. here. I don't want to scare them away but they always have open pockets. I'll keep you posted.

5. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

In my area you wouldn't get more then $2,000 if that. I can buy the plants for $20. I would add potting soil and pete moss to help ensure the plants survive.

6. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

if you can get it good for you. if it is taking you a day and a half $1400ish profit is right on to what id want, but it seems high to me only because i think it will take MUCH less time. they have very small root balls, even very large mature full growns, and if its too much to dig, a chain and truck would make unbeliveable fast time. 1-2 loads to the dump with the old in my 12' dump, mulch @ $80/yard installed, id be in and out in less than a day with 2 guys including going to get the new plants. if you are warenteeing them then your price is just about right on.