1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Help on large mulching job, need quote by Saturday!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Mar 29, 2008.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a customer that needs about 8 cubic yards ( or about 200 cubic feet) of mulch install around his hedges that span the length of his fence on his 1-1.5 acre property as well as a bunch around his house. How much is a reasonable price to ask for this?
    Last year I used to figure $10/bag, so if the bag cost $3, then I made $7 for getting it and putting it in ( 20 bag job would equal $140 profit approx).
    I was thinking about charging around $900 for this, which includes me making 2-3 trips to get the mulch with my truck and distributing it where needed.
    Is this too high?

2. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

why not just have it deliverd and add the price to the job? I pay 25$ for delivery up to 20yds then after 20 i get it free,i also charge $100.00 a yard installed but after 10yds i charge 85$...you may lose that job if he bids it out,i think you are too high!

3. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

I would probably charge somewhere around $675 -$725 including the mulch... maybe more dependent on the where the mulch goes..

4. green-pa

I could do that; just have them deliver it, as long as it's like under $50 or something. I don't mind getting it, but of course it would take me more trips.
    One good thing about me getting it with my pick up is that ( if he'll let me )
    I can drive back in his yard and line about 50 of the bags right off the truck where they need to be vs having to shuvel and wheel barrow each load the long span of his hedges ( I think it's about 120 ft or more).

Well, if I charge like u, then I would charge about $800 total then, right?
    So I was pretty close with $900? I could do $800. It's still just an 8 hour or less job I'm thinking.

5. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

why are you buying bags??? get 8yds bye the truck load!!

6. green-pa

This is my 2nd year and I'm so used to bags. It will cost approx $250 if I get bulk ( without bags ) for the 8 cubic yards vs. about $310 for bags.
    Would it be easier to use a wheel barrow than to just throw the bags off and cut em open? Also, I've heard that sometimes they don't measure near as accurate when they do bulk loads. I just don't want to get kinda screwed and also want to get the job done as fast as possible. But if u guys think the bulk way is fastest then I'll go that way.
    Will the bulk mulch be just the same quality as bagged though?

7. green-pa

Ok. I've seen some other posts on mulch and this sounds close to what they are saying. I think I'm going to shoot at around $700; $650 at lowest.
    It's not as much per hour as I was making on the smaller jobs but it will be a bit more total and a very nice days income.

8. paul vroom

paul vroom LawnSite Senior Member

Go with the Raven

9. green-pa

Yes, i did. I called and quoted $700 and I think it's on. :D

10. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

a big scoop or big fork and u can load a wheelboro in a couple scoops. with 5 guys we moved 7 yards in 20 mins. and the guys running wheelboros were slow. and everybody was 18