Help on lawn for South Carolina?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Otruba_843, Apr 15, 2013.

1. So palmetto wouldn't work, but zoysia will? I have a hard time believing that. I don't know much about el toro, but I can tell you a mostly shaded yard gets palmetto here.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

Zorro sure does test high, i wish there was a side by side comparison between El Toro and Zorro for shade performance. I just know that El Toro work's in the shade but it look's like it might be hard to find. I think that if you can't find El Toro then Zorro might be the grass for you.

3. Otruba_843

Otruba_843 LawnSite Member
    from SC

The grass grows right now but does not spread. Here is what im working with. The backyard does get a few hours of sun a day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

I live on the coast of SC (couple blocks from beach) and installed Jambur Zoysia a few years ago. My four dogs and mostly shade have not killed it yet. I had NO luck with centipede or St Augustine.

5. Otruba_843

from SC

How is the jambur zoysia growing in the shade? Do you have any pictures of it? Where did you get it?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Purchased at the local Lesco/John Deere in Murrells Inlet. My yard is 70% shade. Do a goggle search and you'll find lots info about it. from your pics it looks like your soil needs some serious rotor tilling and amendments.

7. Otruba_843

from SC

Thats what I was planning to do. Spray the grass down and rake it up when its dead, rotor till it, then what should I add to the soil before putting the sod down? Also, will I have to worry about hitting irrigation lines with the rotor tiller as long as I mark the sprinkler heads?

8. Wow, you need to aerate the heck out of that. Palmetto would grow just fine right there.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Otruba_843

from SC

How much does it cost to rent a plug aerator?

10. wrager

wrager LawnSite Member
    from ATL

DO NOT till in prep for sod. It will be very bumpy for years to come. Just aerate and spread some compost, grade by hand.