help on mulch bid please?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by THSG, Apr 11, 2011.

1. THSG

THSG LawnSite Member

Hey guys ,
    im in my third year and am bidding the biggest mulch job ive had yet. The guy has 8-10 different beds he wants mulched. i will supply materials and deliver everything, he just wants everything quoted out on paper and would like it tomorrow morning. He would like all the debris (leaves, sticks, some old mulch) removed before mulch is layed. he wants 8-12 bags of a certain type of mulch and the rest will be bought by the yard(8-10). i figure its about 60-90 min. of debris removal + 5-6 hours of mulch laying. heres what i came up with tell me how this competes with what you would bid. How much do you all charge for delivery on this amt of mulch ?

Mulch; 8-12 bags Cedar ($3.50??)/bag $28-$42
    8-10 yards $30/yard $240-$300

total =$268-$342

Labor; Debris Removal
    (Leaves, twigs, some mulch, etc) $60
    Spread Mulch $340
    Delivery Rate $25???
    Total $425
    Grand total $693-767

all input is appreciated. everyday is a learning experience for me and thats what i love about this industry!

2. Flatop

Flatop LawnSite Member

you need to mark up some of those prices.
    Mulch; 8-12 bags Cedar ($4.00??)/bag $32-$48
    8-10 yards $35/yard $280-$350

total =$312-$398

Labor; Debris Removal
    (Leaves, twigs, some mulch, etc) $60
    Spread Mulch $340
    Delivery Rate $30
    Total $430
    Grand total $742.00-$828.00

3. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Becareful it seems clean ups take more time then they look.

4. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah I think $725-800 would be decent.

5. Flatop

Flatop LawnSite Member

Sorry would not allow me to edit.
    On the delivery fee, that's $30.00 per delivery
    on the debris removal, did you factor in the fee to hall away and dispose of trash at the local landfill?

6. greenstar lawn

greenstar lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I think your cutting yourself too short. It will prob take longer then 5 hours to do that. Are you by yourself? so for 10 yards of mulch your going to be charging anywhere from $69 to $76 per yard to clean up sticks weeds and rake out some old mulch plus deliver and spread it all? Seems to cheap.

7. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

This is why all of us who do this work for a living are having to cut corners and take jobs for 30% less than we would normally do them for. I was a high school kid at one point too but come on.

8. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it all depends on where you are at too. Prices for goods and services can vary big time depending on where you are in the country. If you are in line with what others in the area charge and not over or under by a 50% difference, I'd say you're good.

9. grasscutter24

grasscutter24 LawnSite Member

Things may be different in your area, but I would agree you are definately selling yourself short.