1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

***HELP on MULCH***

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by chuckhopkins76, May 20, 2010.

1. chuckhopkins76

chuckhopkins76 LawnSite Member

I know how to figure out how much mulch that I need for each job, but I do not know how to give a labor price. Do ya'll charge by the square foot, by the yard or by the hour? I have been mowing residential properties for 2 years full time and 100% legit (tax i.d., insurance & business license), but now I am getting into some commercial accounts and they want bids so I am lost on what to charge for mulching. On residentials I just shot out a price, but I need a real system. Thanks

2. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

you need to come up with your hourly man hour rate. It's like a shop labor rate. Everyone has different rates based on their particular overhead, size of business, equipment being used, profit margins, geographic area, ect. ect. So figure what you need to make per man hour worked to cover your overhead, then figure what profit margin you need to stay in business and cover expenses, expected and unexpected costs, future equipment purcheses ect. That will give you an hourly rate per employee even if it is just you, add the materials to the hours it will take to get the job done and bingo you got your answer. Maybe mark up your materials.....its a shell game with things like that you either get the price built in to your labor rate or you have a labor rate plus material mark ups.

3. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Take into consideration how far you will have to wheelbarrow it too.

4. stephen424

stephen424 LawnSite Senior Member

charge your man hour x the number of yards (at least that's what i do)

simple mulch job .... $30/yard
    complex mulch job ... $45/yard

plus materials of course

i just done 32 yards of brown dyed last week.

brown dyed here is $32/yard ... $1024 plus tax
    i charged $35/yard for labor....so $1120

I paid 3 guys $12/hour to install the mulch
    took them 6 hours...but i gave them $100 each

I made $820 not doing a damn thing

5. chuckhopkins76

chuckhopkins76 LawnSite Member

Very simple that is what I was looking for, thanks

6. Lawnfella

Lawnfella LawnSite Member

Around here in TN I charge $65.00 per cu. yard installed for hardwood brown mulch and $75.00 per cu. yard for midnight black mulch. Easy formula that works for me. It all depends on how much you are buying it for. I can buy brown for $16.00 per yd and black for $25.00. On small jobs you can usually tell how much mulch it will take after you get a few jobs under your belt, but on the large jobs it is almost impossible to figure how much you are gonna use. I just charge per cu. yard and it works out fine. Pine bark mulch in bags is a different story as well as pine straw. You'll have to figure it differently.

7. Hoy landscaping

Hoy landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

by the yard. eventually you will be able to walk a property and say how much mulch it will need

8. Josh32RVP

Josh32RVP LawnSite Member

So when you get into the bagged mulch, what would you recommend in figuring what you're gonna need?? I just did a mulch job with bagged mulch and kinda screwed myself but that's how you learn!

9. Hoy landscaping

Hoy landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i dont do bagged mulch. its annoying. cutting every bag open, then disposing the bags. its easier to get mulch delivered

10. rmslawns

rmslawns LawnSite Member

Whatever the price is per cu yard of mulch after I mark it up a few dollars, I double it. If I pay 20.00 per yard as a picked up price and they charge 23.00 to deliver it, I charge the customer 23.00 per yard and double it for labor. Basically 46.00 per cu yard installed. If a customer does not want to pay that price for hard work, I do not mind losing the bid. It is business..not a hobby.