1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help on pricing 9 arces of grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SCAGMAN411, Feb 7, 2008.

1. SCAGMAN411

SCAGMAN411 LawnSite Member

I need some help on pricing 9 arces of grass mowing every week till its starts to get dry, then going every other week, some trimming invloved along the fence line and building.
  2. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

60-90/acre minimum
  3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

It'll get bid out at $20-25 / acre.
  4. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

I currently cut a 6 acre property that is wide open. I cut it with my 54" tank and it takes me about 2 hours and 10 minutes. I try to get 60 an hour so I charge 135 per cut. Most people are around the 60 an hour so I would say you should be in the 180-250 range depending on trim time too (this will also depend on the equipment you are using). The problem with really large properties is you often don't know your exact time to cut until you do it once or twice to find out the most productive way to cut it.
  5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

WOW that's kind of cheep........
  6. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

yeah, I have a 5 acre yard that I had to lowball to get for $150, and I almost want to kick myself everytime I mow it. It only takes me about an hour and a half by myself, so I shouldn't complain I guess.
  7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Of course you shouldn't complain if you're truly grossing $100 / hour by yourself.
  8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

been there.......

had this one that I really got screwed on, on order to get the other...

it was just a long haul for me....he's a GREAT customer, But he bought a rent house. while he was fixing it up I cut the grass,

I didn't loose money I just could of made more. and it tool about 30 to 45 minutes to get there.....

I guess we all gotta eat a lilttle Crow every once in a while
  9. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I still don't see how you guys can get 60-90 per acre on multi acre sites. On one acre I can get 60, anything over one it drops big time.

I said it in another post just a few days ago. I have a 7 acre commercial account, takes about an hour and 15 to an hour and a half. It's wide open mowing, nothing to trim but it does have a few bumps and hills. It's really just a field so they dont care how perfect it is, if I were to slow down some and stripe and everything I'd say 2 hours I'd be in and out.

If your using the 72 on it, you should be able to do 9 acres in about 2 hours, maybe what 2.5 with trimming? This area, theres no way you'd get 540-810 (60-90 acre). I've seen stuff going for the 22-27 an acre around here, I've heard stories from other guys local saying they get upwards of 38-40 an acree for big lots (10-20acre) but I don't believe it at all. Heck I bid an 8 acre place at 350 a cut and it had a bunch of trimming, I was high on that. THis area sucks.

Good luck though.
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You sure will.
    I'll do it for 240 but never mind that, if you can find a customer willing to pay 60+ for 9 acres more power to you.
    Oh that was last year's special, I'd say 260 maybe 270, not quite 20-25 it is closer to 30 but also a long shot from 60.
    Honestly speaking that's what I would bid it, around 260 270 maybe 275.
    You might still get beat up on it, but you have to make what you need, so you still have to figure out your costs...
    But take it as a guide, should help some.

That's it, the bigger the lot the cheaper it gets.
    Otherwise I just price it all at the rate of $35 a 1/4 acre...
    And I fight just to get 55 for one acre, I think I have one pays me the whole 60.

Peace out