help on Replacing engine

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mexiking, Aug 3, 2007.

1. mexiking

mexiking LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I'm taking out a Kawasaki engine from a 48" encore premier series (Belt Drive), Engine is fc420v s15. I took out the bolts holding it to the mower but now it has like 3 puelleys stuck to the engines shaft that I can't take out, is there a special trick to take them out, I took out whatever bolts it had and still nothing it seems to be stuck. Help Plese...

2. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, they make a speical tool to pull off pullies and flywheels and such leme try to find you a picture of one.
    https://sslrelay.com/buypartsby.co.uk/sealey/AK78.jpg
    There called "gear pullers" You should be able to get one at most auto stores or a hardware store. Hopefully that will do the trick...

3. bobby perez

bobby perez LawnSite Member

Try tapping the pulleys lightly with a hammer. Lightly, dont hit it to hard sometimes this works,if not stick with plan A: Gear puller. Where in jersey are you?

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have a Harbor Freight around you? If not,...there are other suppliers that carry stuff like this. They aren't that expensive, either. Most auto stores carry these.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You didn't mention the clutch ....got to be a little careful putting a puller on it....need to use "crowbar" and hammer on holding bolt(loosened but still in place) to try to "nudge" it down and off. Pullers are fine for the other pulley...usually just one for drive.

6. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

They're fairly inexpensive. A set of 4 of them cost only about 26 bucks. No home should be without them.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40965

7. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Well, there could be a bolt on the end of the crank shaft, or a 1/4 inch set screw on the pully inline with the keyway, depending on the pully, there might be a second set screw. And lastly, there could be a bushing on the end of the crank that might or may not have (2) 1/4 inch bolts in it, I've seen the bolts get sheared off. These bolts are threaded into the pully through the collar and hold the collar in place. That collar would have 4 holes in it, two threaded and two without threads. if the bolts are there, put them in the threaded holes in the collar to push against the pully. and use alot of PB Blaster.
    If that doesn't help. time to get the pullers out:dizzy:

ericg likes this.
  8. mexiking

from NJ

thanks guys It was to late yesterday to go get the gear pullers, but I'll do it today, awesome tips. Oh yeah I'm from west Milford to bobbyperez

9. mexiking

from NJ

well I still can't get them out even with the gear puller, I don't know if I'm doing something wrong.

10. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Could you post some pics of what you are trying to get off ?