Help on seeding damaged turf

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Bulldog26, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Bulldog26

Bulldog26 LawnSite Member

I recieved my first call for seeding a grub damaged yard. I have not looked at it yet, but I was told a large portion of the front yard is now dirt due to grubs. It was treated last year, so I hope the problem is now solved. I have never done any work like this. What should i do to prep the damaged area if I just use seed?(thats what they asked for) Should I try to get them to go with sod? What kind of mix if I use seed? Do I add fert. to the seed at application? What do I charge for this type of work? As you can see I have a lot of questions. Should I be asking, do I pass this quote to someone else with experiance? All advice welcome...... I think..
    Thanks
    bt

2. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

if you are going to seed now (i don't know when you guys need pre em.) always combo w/ starter fert or something w/ high phosporus. Follow that up with a slow release organic two weeks later. Milorganite or whatever floats your boat. In situations like this i always let the customer know about watering seed, keep kids and pets off, etc. Then i suggest the instant fix of sod. As much as i hate to sod and not grow from seed, it's a good 1/2 day work for some good money. hope this helps.

3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

how is sod a instant fix? you have a month of watering and a instant thatch layer.
    if the damaged area is dirt like you said and not a half inch of compacted grass then power rake and seed. if it is compacted grass then sod cut, add top soil and seed. need some more info.

4. Bulldog26

Ok guy, thanks for your input. I ran by the property today and it's not as bad as they made it sound. Thier are three bad spots. One 12x12 and two 8x8 that almost bare. Just a few weeds. What do you think, hit those areas hard with a rake, heavy seed and starter fert. Now what do I do with the rest of the yard. Real soft and uneven. Do I try to sell them on rolling .... what about power rake? Thanks for the help. Meeting Sat. 12:00.
    bt

5. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

if its completly bare powerrake it then seed. i would try and sell them a aeration, chances are that wasn't all grub damage if the soil is visible. the damage was probably disease - dollar spot on kentucky blue. the aeration will help to reduce the chance of disease. one more thing if it was grub damage any grass thats dead should peal up like sod.

6. Bulldog26

Is thier any reason to power rake the yard before aeration?

7. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

If its uneven as in bumpy you can aerate entire property, dethatch dirt areas for good soil to seed contact, or give a good raking with a steel rake to affected areas. I would apply copost to dirt areas over seed to prevent drying out and keeps the birds away also. 1/4 yard yard of compost should be ample. Then i would roll the lawn last, the holes from aerating will allow the high spots a place to settle into into, Rolling without aerating 1st is a waste of time to you and money to the customer, its like putting 2 gallons of milk into a 1 gallon container.