help on sod install price

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by bama26, Feb 8, 2007.

1. bama26

bama26 LawnSite Member

I need help pricing install and removal of old grass of 14 palletts of sod.

2. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of sod and how must is it costing you?

I'd double that.

How/what are you going to remove the old with?

If your renting something, that cost plus your hourly fee.

3. bama26

bama26 LawnSite Member

cent. I will have to rent a sod cutter for 2 days at for 190.00, the sod will cost me around 1540.00

4. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

You can install around 300 to 500 sf per hour acording to book ( which depends upon you) . Plus you really need to prep the soil first.

5. bama26

bama26 LawnSite Member

I was planning to but I wasn't sure on how to price it because I have never done it for the public

6. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

You have $1730, less starter fert .. say total of $1800 in material and rental.

Using Duekster's number of 300, that's 21 hrs to lay 6300 sq ft. (450 sq ft pallets?). Add the 16 hrs for the sod removal (2 day rental you figured) and say maybe a day for the prep, run-around, you're looking at 45 hrs total.

Double the price I mentioned, $1800 divided by 45 hrs, you'll get around $40 hr, (that's you doing it by yourself!), less all the usual overhead expenses. Bill the customer $3600. Pay a buddy $400 and finish in say 30 hrs, you'll be around $47 hr. Don't forget to return the pallets, here it's $5 per.

This is just a very general range. Alot depends on prep needed, travel times, pallet placement, etc. I'm not far from you, last year a guy I know had 18 pallets installed on a new building site - paid $3500 total.

good luck

7. bama26

bama26 LawnSite Member

thanks ron I app. your help I'll let you know how it goes

8. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

i would suggest that you are charging to little. think about it 3500 for 14 pallets of sod when one pallet is 110. so your saying your going to rent the machine, drive all over town getting misc material, have the sod delivered and placed properly for 140 per pallet and this doesn't include disposal of the material. i get 110 to 150 per pallet just to lay it. If your doing sod u must charge for it. Oh dont think you going to do 14 pallets by yourself. You would be out of your mind. Your Price should be 400 to 500 per pallet laid. Remember you will have to clean and grade the area, plus the time it takes to spray round up etc. 400 to 500 is fair. If someone else wants to do for 250 to 300 let them. Dont get fooled into thinking this is a big huge job and your going to make some money off it charging 250 per pallet. When u dig it up the way your doing you must charge for it. Why dont you get a bob cat to dig it up and grade it, sixty to sixty five dollars an hour?

9. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

WOW, am I hearing this all correctly???? Are we talking about the same pallets????????? 600sqft per pallet X's 14 = 8400sqft???? Rip out old and install new??? OMG. :dizzy: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :dizzy: :hammerhead:

10. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

He will not need starter fertilizer w/ it being dormant and also being southern turf. I would guess if you are bidding against other companies $3500 will be on the high end. It is a days worth of work for 3 guys(30 man hours). I would harley rake it and go to town laying the sod. That would be $65 a man hour. You could bid it lower and still make money.