help on sod pricng

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by northwest lawn, Apr 10, 2005.

1. northwest lawn

northwest lawn LawnSite Member

im looking for quotes on what some people charge for the installation of sod. have never done it before and i have to bid on a job. i have heard some places with the price of mulch and installation they charge $5.50 a yard. does this sound right? what do u some other people charge?
  2. Pro-lawns

Pro-lawns LawnSite Member

in colorado we charge by the square foot
    1.75 to 2.00 payup per square foot
    we call the sod companys and see what they charge
    and ajust accodling
  3. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

I buy it for between 65¢ and 84¢ a yard and install for $4.50+ a yard, depends on the customer and size of the job, $100 minimum
  4. northwest lawn

thanks for the input greatly appreciated!
  5. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

450 sq.ft per pallet

$$ is 55 for bermuda, 137.50 zoysia, and 87.50 for fescue ( this our cost wholesale)

We install for 150-275 per pallet depending on conditions(hills, access type of grass needed/prefered etc etc) this doe not include grading.

Generally i bid like this as an example bermuda sod 150 for the first 2 pallets and then 105 for ever pallet there after bid on full pallet quanity unless it is less than half a pallet then split in half.

I haven't had much objection to my pricing yet. Zoysia always raises some eyes but at 137 whole sale if someone wants zoysia they want it for a reason (luxury) and dont mind paying the higher cost for installation as well.

Hope this helps ya
  6. smcguirt

smcguirt LawnSite Member

Does your 150 per pallet include cost of sod or is that just installation?

PROScapes Lawn Care
  7. ajmctree

ajmctree LawnSite Member

Have you looked into hydeoseeding versus laying sod . If you have a reputal operator your results will be great .

8. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

well sometimes it is more economical to lay a pallet of sod in a 1k backyard then have someone come out to spray
  9. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

You also get about 1-2" of top soil with the sod but if it's wet...... It weighs a ton...
  10. northwest lawn

ill need all the extra topsoil any way they want the yard filled in with topsoil to raise the grade because there is a huge low spot and water just hangs out there so they will proly need 30 yards of dirt then i will have to put like a retaining wall around the trees that are not being cut down so the new grade wont start a crown rot on the trees then i will have to verticle mulch for gas exchange. Does the $4.50 include installation and the price of sod?