Help on standard collections form?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by E E M, Mar 17, 2008.

1. E E M

E E M LawnSite Member

:hammerhead: I am in need of some type of standardized form/forms to begin collections for an unpaid invoice from a property management company. It is for some off season work i did cleaning out a foreclosed home. Can anyone help me with this? I have never actually had to push this far to get paid and I am unsure just what I can and cannot say. Or what my next plan of action should be. I do know it is for $3200.00 and it is pinching my pocket pretty badly and I am not willing to let it go! The contact I had with the company has now decided to ignore all emails and phone calls and will not return any messages. So i guess I am being forced to believe they are not planning on paying this debt. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,

Ed Borges - Owner
    Ed's Exterior Maintenance
    lawnsandmore@msn.com:usflag:

2. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Start with an email on Tuesday giving them until say Friday to respond or you will begin legal action to obtain your money. Same day send out a Certified Letter, return receipt requested, informing them that the matter needs to be resolved and paid by Monday and that You have given them ample oppurtunity and their actions have forced you to take legal action. Now You either call an Attorney on Wed or go to the clerk of the courts office to get papers for small claims court. You can ask the Attorney what it will cost to submit a letter on your behalf requesting payment or force legal action. By the time the next week rolls around you should have your response or your court date. Small claims court is very simple and you will most likely prevail. Go to small claims court one day and watch for a few hours, it's no big deal and usually handled by a magistrate. Hitting them with so much all at once will show them You're are not playin' around anymore.Good Luck.

3. E E M

E E M LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help- Sounds like a good plan. I will do just that- I'll let you know how it works out. I figured I would have to learn this lesson sooner or later- just was hoping for later! lol payup

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Just file a lien...they will get the message. How many days past due is this invoice? If its over 90 they likely have no intention of paying and its time for serious action. If you need help with the lien let me know. I do them myself and they are pretty easy.

5. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i need to file a lein in La, can you give me any help.

6. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

In Shreveport, La try giving Gary Loftin a call, I think he is still clerk over there. 226-6776. Mechanics Liens are usually filed if you did work for or were the original contractor during construction or improvement phase of a house. Liens must be filed in a timely fashion, within so many days of work being completed. Once you file a lien you have a certain number of days (90)to take court action.Usually small claims court is a simpler way to handle disputes.