help on this school bid

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ant, Jan 24, 2002.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

saturday i am going to mesure this job out...
    chem lawn does it now.
    three school grounds and playing fields
    1.soil test for lime and fert. requirments..
    2.based on the test results (to maintain ph-6.4)
    3.core aeration criss cross once in marsh and in august.
    4. march/august seeding at a rate of 130 lbs blue tag rye.
    5.ipm program is to be used to correct problem areas at no charge useing fungicides and other chemicals to control insects.(only to areas that need it)
    6.the elimination of all weeds will be maintained at no extra charge on all turf areas.
    7. 5 applications of fert. from march-nov. with a total of 5.5 lbs. of n/season.
    what do you guys think?
    anthony
    i think#6 and #5 can sink me...

2. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Ant,

saturday i am going to mesure this job out...
    chem lawn does it now.
    three school grounds and playing fields
    1.soil test for lime and fert. requirments..
    1A.)your cost: $9.00 for test? + time.

2.based on the test results (to maintain ph-6.4)
    2A.)your cost: Depends on test results. Has it been limes recently? Are the test results back yet? Lime is costly @ high rates $8.00/M plus or $400/acre+/-.

3.core aeration criss cross once in marsh and in august.
    3A.) Usually around $15.00/M around here, but some people still like to work for free. I'd bet that if theres more than a few acres of easy, open turf, it will be done for less.

4. march/august seeding at a rate of 130 lbs blue tag rye.
    4A.) Certified Rye is under $1.00/Lb. Do they want exactly 130lbs. Or is that 130lbs/acre. $130.00/Acre. That's pretty light for athletic fields. Less than 4lbs/M. How is it to be delivered. A broadcast seeding can be spiked in by athletic shoes. I'd guess they really want it slit seeded but can't afford it?

5.ipm program is to be used to correct problem areas at no charge useing fungicides and other chemicals to control insects.(only to areas that need it)
    5A.) I would give them a per acre price if they'll go for it. Pending the result of a "walk-through".
    Fungicide $350-$600/acre depending on chemical selected & rate.
    Surface Feeders: Talstar,etc @ $300/acre+
    Grubs: Dylox-$350-$500/acre

6.the elimination of all weeds will be maintained at no extra charge on all turf areas.
    6A.) How weedy are the fields? Blanket or spot spray only. If blanket, do you own a good boom sprayer?

7. 5 applications of fert. from march-nov. with a total of 5.5 lbs. of n/season.
    7A.) Your average cost is the same here as it is for any lawn. But the scale of economies is going to apply here. I've seen big grass public bids go as low as $3.00/M or $135.00/acre per app. Especially when the big boys are involved. Do you really want this job that bad? Do you have a Tractor mounted Vicon or Lely?

Some people use the simple formula of cost of material plus $4.00 per 1000 sq ft. This may be high on big turf in some areas. Though more is always better if you can get it.

Let us know what kind of shape the existing turf is in. Try to talk to the person who will administrate your service if you do get the contract. There may be a lot of existing info available if you talk with the right person. Ask a school custodian or a coach for their input.

Good luck,
    Steve

3. greensman

greensman LawnSite Member

All public bids from previous years are usually public information. The sad part is I think when you get bid info back on who won you will see that if TGCL wants it they will get it.

Start your relationships on price and they will end on price!

4. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

i went out on saturday and i got half way across the football field and i said to myself ....i am wasteing my time... the place was a mess... there is no way i can bid the job and be the low bidder and get it....eather they are getting ripped off or chem lawn is cheap...it looked to me that half the things were not done the last application season and the spects. didnot change...
    thanks for your help...
    anthony:angel:

5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

ant, price it really high so you get the bid info for next time. You may not use it for this job but the info will come in handy. Just make sure you bid enough incase no one else bids it.