help on weed killer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by danielmorvant, Aug 24, 2007.

1. danielmorvant

danielmorvant LawnSite Member

I have about two hundred feet of fence line and about the same with my ditches at my home. What kind of weed killer can i purchase to kill weeds in ditch and fence line. I tried round up in the ditch but it didnt kill alot of the weeds same with fence line the roundup only killed the grass not some of the weeds. I dont feel like weedeating on my day off so any info on a weed killer would be great. also were i can purchase thanks.

2. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

Roundup (Glyphosate) is probably your best all around single choice for your purpose. If you are going with the "homeowner" pre-mix version that may be why you're not getting good results. Get a gallon of the 40% concentrate and follow the label for proper mixing. If you can add marker dye, you'll be able to monitor your coverage.

3. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

try some roundup-quik or razor burn has some diquate in it lesco sells both and also small dose packs of quicksilver

4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Definitely stay away from "soil sterilants" in your situation. "Roundup" is the safe way to go, but you may need to spray it (carefully) 3 or 4 times during the season. Even the best soil sterilents (like Sahara) are unsafe -- especially near tree roots or whenever runoff is possible. No miracle cure here. Sorry, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Even with Round Up it may take more then 1 application to get everything. It will kill it after another 1 or 2

6. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

The only thing I don't like here is non-selectives on ditchbanks. The slope is likely to erode with no vegetation if you get a heavy rain. Just something to think about. Hey Derek, long time no talk. Hope all's well and you've had a good season.

7. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

round -up fence line .plant with non invasive ground cover or low maintaince wild flowers .If you are goinna have something in you fence line it just as well compliment your pad .Remove the fence or move the fence so you can mow on both side .Take a spin this week end and check out similar properties.Bare ground only invites weeds .If you just do not want to spend much time with it , plant a tree ,a bush and a scrub .

8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Good point dude....fences suck anyway -- whenever possible, I yank 'em out. No more trimming, bare dirt, or weeds once the turf fills back in.

I also like your ground cover/wildflower idea too. Nice job!:usflag: