1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help! Out of Fuel, Bled...Still won't start

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by goatboy67, Jul 12, 2007.

1. goatboy67

goatboy67 LawnSite Member

I have a Case 60xt (about 600 hrs) and a branch knocked off one of the fuel sender wires...needless to say I ran out of fuel.

I bled the system... no start.

I removed the bleeder screw, cranked...fuel spurted out.

replaced screw, tried to start...nothing

the primer lever at this point has no resistance at all.

Where is the fuel going? What is a solution?

2. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have a full stream coming out of the bleed bolt, try tightening it back up, and look for the main line going into the injection pump. You should see a bigger bolt (plug) that is tight. Loosen that and pump your primer until fuel streams out, then tighten back up. You may have air somewhere else in the line after the bleed bolt. Also make sure your filters are full.
  3. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

check and make sure your fuel filter isnt dry as well...if it is fill it up, put it back on and hope for the best
  4. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

You can get a portable air tank and fill it full of air .Take off the line going into the fuel filter and use a hand air nozzle from the air tank and force air into the fuel line to the fuel pump.I have used this to start my old 471 GMMMMMMMMM !

Like the others said make sure fuel filter is full.My help run ours out on a 2percent slope headed down hill.Took a long time to get it to go.Just kept priming.I did take the lines off like you to see if there was fuel there.Good luck.
  5. turboawd

turboawd LawnSite Member
    from midwest

crack the fuel line loose near the injectors, to allow the air to escape. crank the motor till diesel comes out then tighten the line up.
  6. goatboy67

goatboy67 LawnSite Member

Thanks for everyone's help. I tried everything...had fuel coming out all over the place, but no go. I called the Case dealer and they told me to give it a small shot of starter fluid, after a few small doses it fired up.

Thanks Again