Help Pick Truck Body

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by newtostone, Jun 9, 2008.

1. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

So this truck I think will be a 5500 dodge or 550 ford, at least thats what its looking like now. I have seen how a few of you on here have done some of, what i would call it alternative truck options as far as the fuso and cab over type as well as the bodies. No longer are these trucks just dumps, but with a Switch and go or roll off its a flatbed dump and 10 yrd can. Can anyone on here chime in and let me know if they think ill be shooting myself in the foot by buying a 550 or 5500 for landscaping, moving stone and i was thinking about renting out a few 10yrd dumpsters to some contractors i know. Should i go larger ? Or are there trucks out there that would be much less but more versatile? Please help me out, i don't want to just get a 550 because everyone has one. I need this truck to be an everything truck for moving pallets of stone, gravel soil, and men (quadcab or super cab for the ford).
  2. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

go as big as you can afford, personally I might consider a f650 or 750... you can get them in a crew cab (international also makes a good crew cab) they're more money, will last longer and will undoubtably carry more material, safer and you could still outfit it w/ a SNG or even a hook lift. that being said the f550 is a fine truck
  3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

A 3 or 5 ton truck will get the same fuel economy as a F-550.

If you do go with a 5 ton truck you need to put a rolloff system on it so you can drop the body on the ground for easier loading. Not all jobs you have a forklift or a machine of some sort to load the truck.
  4. CAT MAN

CAT MAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

Well my buddy had a 550 ford and it just hands down sucks to the new 5500 dodge cummins dump truck we can pull over 18,000lbs and can put 11,000lbs in the dump body and still be all legal, so my vote would be for the dodge 5500 you might even consider the 4500 dodge can pull the same weight just 9500lbs in the dump. You can even search the web with the fight with 5500's dodge has surpased ford in sales and gets better fuel millage and just down right lots of power, my buddy uses it to pull a 50d john deere excavator it hardly even breaks a sweat and did I mention the dodge has an exhaust break saves alot of your breaks now does ford have that no! So go with the dodge you will like it.
  5. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

Cat Man Your numbers are off a bit. So you are saying that the truck only is 8000 lbs. Unless the 5500 has a gvw of 21k or more.
  6. CAT MAN

from PA

I know there not on the dot but they are close but we can put a 50d john deere and a trailer behind it and its still legal excavato 10,000lbs trailer 4,000lbs, but all in all its a better truck.
  7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

You may consider looking into either a mitsubishi fuso or a UD or Isuzu cab over truck. You can get each of those brands with around 17900-18500 gvw and still have close to 11000lbs payload. They also make them larger to the 22000 and 25900gvw which is more like what the 650 and 750's are rated.
  8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Go with a heavier truck either it be a 3 ton cab over or a Hino Conventional cab or a Cornbinder or Sterling.
  9. CAT MAN

from PA

The sterlings are good trucks if you want a bigger one, I would never buy a hino because I am an american fan and thinks that the buying of foreign brand made the us trucks go higher, but that is a different conversation.
  10. newdude

newdude LawnSite Member

quoting from "Maximum Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) for 4500 models is 16,500. For 5500 models, the maximum GVWR is 19,500 lbs. The Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) for both 4500 and 5500 models is 26,000 lbs."

and quoting

4500: Base Curb Weight [lb] - with Manual Transmission [lb] 7421
    Base Curb Weight [lb] - with Automatic Transmission [lb] 7485

i could not find the 5500 info. the 4500 vehicle weight was for a reg cab, 2wd truck.