Help picking a 32"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WHIPPLE5.7, Dec 15, 2007.

1. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

90% of the residential in my area has chainlink or wood gates that are narrow as hell. None of these people ever planned on getting anything into their yard they couldn't get through the door on their house. I've decided I need a 32" because of this. It would so nice to rap things faster than with a 21". My only problem is the we only have one place in town that sells Commercial equipment and its Exmark. I think Exmarks an excellent brand and all but since they are the only game in town should go with them so I can get parts rather quickly or should I mail order a mower and hope when it breaksdown I can locate parts and get them shipped super fast? Also these folks at the Exmark dealer are wellknown for being quite high on prices.
  2. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

32 metro should run ya 2600.
  3. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Same boat, lots of narrow gates. After looking around a lot, I've decided to buy the new Better Quick 32", due out in February.

While I don't like the idea of not being able to demo he unit because they don't use dealers, that brings some pretty big benefits. They designed them from the ground up to be serviced by the user. For that reason, none of their machines are gear driven like the eXmark. I like the idea that I should be able to service and maintain the machine myself. Their service info is pretty good. Weighing significantly less that other machines (300 vs. 400 pounds +) and a shorter wheel base, they use a single hydro instead of the dual hydros other manufacturers use. The hydro units are much easier to maintain. They use a 3 blade system insted of a two blade. Lastly, it's a whole lot less expensive than other machines.

The shorter wheel base should make it a bit more manueverable in tight spots and it has a thumb control for going into reverse that is supposed to be very easy to use. The smallish fuel tank doesn't bother me, I don't do any real big properties.

BTW, yes, I called Better Quick.... this new 32 is real. 15HP Kawi. Seems to be based on the Samurai model. They said they would call me in early February.

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Do you have a lesco store in town for chemicals? If you do see if they have any lesco 32's and if they dont order one. They are going for $2399 which is a pretty good deal. I have a cubcadet commercial 32" and its the exact same mower and i love it.
  5. Whitey4

It's a gear drive, right? I do have a Lesco dealer VERY nearby, thanks, i'll take a drive over there next week. I still like the fact that the BQ is a hydro... so much easier to work on and repair, I would not even attempt to repair a gear drive machine.
  6. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

Any estimated price on this unit? So its supposed to be out by Feb or March then? It sounds like the right one for me.
  7. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

exmarks are great, especially if you have a dealer in town. that would help my decision when buying.
  8. Whitey4

On the phone they didn't hint at price, but the 36" Samurai is the model the new 32 sounds most like.... no Briggs, one choice, the Kwi 15 HP. Since the Samurai is on special at 2400 right now, I have to figure 2200 or so.... maybe a bit less. Still a 3 blade system, single hydro. They said February....
  9. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I am thinking of getting the Quick also, have heard many good things about them. I like the compact size. I also have heard they are a lot less expensive. After checking the prices though, they are about the same as the rest. It looks like it will be around 2500 for the one I want.
  10. Whitey4

From what I know, the BQ's are always less expensive than comparable mowers.... which one are you looking at? I haven't seen any walk behinds less that 3k.... and the lower priced machines aren't hydro drives, but maybe I missed something?