Help picking a mower for not so great properties

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WHIPPLE5.7, Mar 8, 2008.

1. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

I scored a couple of new weekly customers that all have from 1 to 1.5 acre lots. The lots are out of town, somewhat lumpy and bumpy, watered only about half what they should be, and no trimming required. I'm ordering a Quick 36 next week for some of my nicer places, but for these ones I was thinking maybe a hydro lower end lawn tractor($1,500)price range. It would seem like a bit extra time and wear on my Quick than I'd like to put it through. I see Husqvarna has a 48" with a 15 Kawasaki for $2,200.

2. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Have you looked at buying a used mower? Since it is doing some not so nice properties it doesn't need to be top of the line, it just needs to run and cut. I'm sure you can find an old ztr, wb, or lawn tractor for a good price used. No sense buying new if its going to be put through a lot of wear and tear.

3. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

A lawn tractor is just way too slow for a regular lawn business! Find a used commercial Z or order a bigger Quick mower and use it. It is commercial and is made to be used as just that. Those properties wont hurt it! Unless they are bush-hog style properties, then no mower is made for that. Just a bush hog will do.

Don't buy anything homeowner grade for your business. Not even shovels or rakes, you won't get the needed time and service out of them.

4. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Some of the older Exmark walkbehinds are Beasts ! Vikings were about indestructable should be able to find a used one say a 48" pretty cheap.

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, try and find a decent used hydro walkbehind, 52" preferred. Heck, if you can find a 60" that would be even better. Slap a castering sulkey on the back and you have a nice compact machine that would knock out those lots pretty fast.

I wouldn't spend too much just to mow a couple lots... Though if you have the mower you can always pick up more larger things like that.

6. jeffslawncare

jeffslawncare LawnSite Member

have you lookedat scags they have a 48" tiger cub that works really nice goes for around $6500 but is built better then a Husqvarna especially if you have a lot of bumps.

Jeff