Help - planting grass on rural lot

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by mfitch62, Apr 19, 2006.

1. mfitch62

mfitch62 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I have a large rural lot in Northern Ohio, which means I am dependent on rainfall for watering. It is not feasible to put down straw, either. I know this is suboptimal.

I CAN get the use of a slit seeder for a day or two. Would that be my best option?

Could I get decent results dragging chain link fence before and after broadcasting a fast-growing seed like ryegrass?

2. Pittsburgh Panther

Pittsburgh Panther LawnSite Member
    from N.W. Pa

Depending on your acres and equipment you have. There are walk behinds and ones that I think are driven off a tractor PTO(?) which is 4 or 5 feet wide. You will get alot better germination with slit seeder.

Hopefully that helps. I'm not a professional but I have used both of them at a school district that I work where we reseed and seed athletic fields.

3. blaze347

blaze347 LawnSite Member

MFITCH
    How much land?
    What is there now? Weeds/grass/bare land?
    When are you wanting to seed? (I wouldn't even come close to attempting it now!!!! Wait until the fall.)
    Why rye?:) (say that 5 times fast..lol)

Dragging with a fence will help get up rocks and other debris easier, and help put a bit of a finish grade only if it has been tilled up a bit.

There is a reply I posted a few days ago called "how to repair entire lawn", follow that and you will be OK if you are starting over from scratch.

I would also plant fescue,it is fast growing, lower maintenance than other grasses and it has a good root system which makes it fairly drought tolerant

4. mfitch62

mfitch62 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Thanks for your replies. The lot is 1.5 acres and is mostly bare ground (clay) with some scrubby grass patches and weeds. I want to establish grass so that the weeds don't take over and spread to adjoining lots as there are homeowners there with lawns.