Help please, Drain bid??

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JCherry9099, Apr 2, 2008.

1. JCherry9099

JCherry9099 LawnSite Member

I have a customer that wants a drain installed, and of course wanting to make my customer happy, I accepted the challenge. I don't know what to charge for it though. How do you all charge for installing drains? What are key things I should keep in mind and look out for? I've installed drains before, I'm speaking of common mistakes made financially... i've already underbidded two projects i'm stuck in now, i'm afraid if I do another it could be the end of me and mine...

any advice?

2. JCherry9099

JCherry9099 LawnSite Member

PS
    I've estimated the pipe run to be about 100-115ft, with 3 12" square drains. the run will go through a yard causing me to trench underneath a fence twice.

Also, advice to beautify the exit of the drain pipe would be most helpful :)

Thank you!!

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure if there are many in the irrigation forum here that do drain work. Response might be weak.

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Hiss boooo :hammerhead: Avoid doing that if at all possible.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Why can't you run a trench under a fence? (assuming you don't undermine any posts)

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I'm guessing you never built a fence?

7. Wet_Boots

I have to run lawn sprinkler pipes under fences, and no disasters yet, so why the admonition? (increase your word power)

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Never run utilities/irrigation/drainage under or too near fence lines unless your planning on putting them at 3 feet depth or more. There are some cases where it can't be avoided obviously, and in those cases it is best to do so at a good distance from any existing posts or potential locations for replacement posts. Nothing worse than replacing a fence line with a bunch of utilities running right next to it, or across it.

If you assume when a fence is replaced the posts will end up in the same spots as before, 9 times out of 10 it will be a wrong assumption.

9. Wet_Boots

That just means your local fencing contractors have trouble building something that lasts. :p

And how many different 'standard' post spacings do you think there are, anyway?

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Sad but true.

How many different fence styles are there and how many times has the fence been replaced?