Help Please! How to grade Steep Grade!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Clapper&Company, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Ohio

Hey guys! I'm looking for some help on this one.

We been working for a Condo doing alot of grade work and installing all there lawns. Just a walk in the park till now, They just built a Big berm/mound this is located in between the old units and the new ones there building. This berm is going to need to be graded and seeded.

The Berm, is approx. 30 degrees, with approx. 13 ft. top to bottom. Pretty steep, as we know.

What can operate at that grade, without seizing a motor?

Is there a rake that attaches to an excavator that can reach 13 feet?

Any help would be great!

Thanks
    Clap

2. flairland

flairland LawnSite Senior Member

What are you using to grade right now? A CTL should work fine, no?

3. Clapper&Company

from NE Ohio

Were using a Skidloader Tire unit with Steel Tracks. and a Rock hound and/or Harley rake

4. chevydump03

chevydump03 LawnSite Member

Ron, I've been seaching the web, and all I've found is confusion on figuring grade vs slope. The 30 degree that I gave you is an angle of 30 degrees. I don't know if that is the same as slope or not. Just thought I would mention it, to avoid any confusion.

I haven't found any attachments for an excavator for fitting the ground suitable for planting. I hate to say it but that one could be labor intensive.

5. Clapper&Company

from NE Ohio

Thanks Gary

Well if we end up doing this one by hand, all I know is that Im glad im not the one mowing LOL ( J/k)

6. chevydump03

he harley rake with the skid & tracks will almost reach to the top, but it gets real scary. The problem is there is no room at the bottom on the one side to operate from.

7. chevydump03

I also should mention that the top is very narrow. Skid width at best.

8. chevydump03

Ron, try selling them a retaining wall. lol $$$

9. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Sounds like a bad berm design. How is it going to be possible to mow and maintain it? Sounds like a design on paper, and not from a guy in the field.

10. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

There's an embankment here in town with a nasty slope, probably worse than what clap is talking about. I've seen a couple of kids out there mowing it from time to time. They tie a string to push mower, let it roll down the hill, then pull it back up with a lawn tractor. Pretty ingenious if you ask me.

P.S. I'm NOT suggesting you let your skidsteer run down the hill and then pull it back up with an excavator.