Help please! My trailer is leaning...

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ACE_Lawn_Care_NJ, May 3, 2008.

1. ACE_Lawn_Care_NJ

ACE_Lawn_Care_NJ LawnSite Member

I have an 18' Continental Cargo Auto Plus that's getting a little old, but I love it. It's a 1999 with the 10,000 lb axles. My question is this: I have torsion bars on this trailer, and one side seems to be sagging quite a bit. What can I do about it? Can I adjust the torsion bars? Is there a removable assembly that can be replaced? Any advice much appreciated, I'm not sure how much further this is going to sag and what the potential issues may be. Can't afford a new trailer, so I need to fix this one and I'm hoping it doesn't mean I need two new axles!

2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Most of the torsion axles I have seen use a rubber spring, no adjustments.

3. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

the jack on the front of the trailer to take it off the truck, is it in the center, or is it off to the side, a friend of mine had one that was off center, and he left it loaded a lot, and it made actually bent a 7,000lb 14 foot landscape trailer

4. ACE_Lawn_Care_NJ

The jack is in the center. I do have to leave it loaded, but with the heavy duty axles I shouldn't have too much weight. I have my 61" ZTR loaded right over the axles and my 36" walk-behind in front. I did buy it used and it seemed like it leaned a little, but it has definitely gotten worse in the last few weeks. I'm going to go jack it up and have a look at the axles myself to see if there are any adjustments I can figure out. The only experience I have with torsion bars has been on old cars and usually they can be "cranked" to compensate. I hope that the answer isn't entirely new axles because I can't afford it! I'm just getting started and really broke.

5. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

i hear what your saying, the jack thing was just a thought i had with out seeing your trailer

6. ACE_Lawn_Care_NJ

I do appreciate your posts, thanks for the suggestions. I jacked up the trailer and had a good long look. The axles are made by AL-KO, which has a very handy operator's manual on their website describing the operation of their torsion system. Other than placement of the trailing arm on the spline, there is no adjustment, and both sides have to be placed at the same angle so there's nothing I can do but deal with it until I can afford either new axles or a new trailer. I was buying on a budget and I guess I got what I paid for. Hopefully I'll do well enough to upgrade over time.

Thanks again, this site is amazing and full of some of the best people on earth!