Help please, need collections agency and small claims information

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by justmjc, Jun 12, 2004.

1. justmjc

justmjc LawnSite Senior Member

Well, this year has set a record for the amount of bums, that i've serviced, that have decided not to pay. I've never had to collect on anyone nor take anyone to court before. Can someone help me with direction how I get in contact with a collections agency and/or setup a small claims court hearing? I don't know the process at alll and I'm not sure where to begin?

Should I even use a collection agency? I've given proper notice to these people and all I really want to do is mess up some of their credit and have a court force them to pay me back. Should I drop the collection part and go just to court?

Thanks

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Unless you have their ss# on file, i would just go to court.

3. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

You've probably already done this but before taking any action send them a certified letter stating your intentions to take action and that this is their LAST chance.If someone has a large balance you might want to consider letting them make payments(plus interest,of course).While most of these people are deadbeats who don't care about their already-terrible credit,some do care and others are willing to pay if you'll work with them.Maybe follow up the letter with a phone call.
    I've had some success with collection agencies but,as you probably know,they take a percentage of the money collected,depending on the age of the accounts.Good luck.

4. Geoffrey

Geoffrey LawnSite Member

Justmjc
    I'm new here to this site (mostly just read the opinions on equip) but I do know about this issue as I've had to go to small claims court at least 10 times. I was 9-0-1 the 9 wins went like this all contracts were signed properly. Went to court to fill out a claim. The state gave them a notice and most paid then. After 45 days they set a trial date and it was surprisingly easy, nothing at all like Judge Judy. The only trouble case was a lady on Disability couldn't make the payments and even admitted she owed the money and some law says you can't get at that money. Oh well 9-0-1 isn't bad.
    Geoff

5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -