Help Please

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by IN2MOWING, Jul 13, 2005.

IN2MOWING LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

Can someone help me please. Im a mow only company and around this time of year in KS we are getting no rain, temps in the 90s and high humidity. My yards arent burning but they are getting brown spots all over them and really thinning out.

As a mower only is there something Im doing wrong? I keep my blades very sharp and I mow at 3 inches. Is that to short? My customers are getting upset and I tell them its lack of rain and high temps.

Anyone have some ideas?
  2. sjj14

sjj14 LawnSite Member

tough to id any problem without some pics. could be Grub damage or disease.3" is not too low. try to see if damage is consistant with your mowing pattern that should tell you if your at fault and point that out to the customer.

from Zone 6

Thanks. Ill get some pics tommorow on one of the yards.
  4. If your clients are not watering at all, then drought is the #1 suspect. If the whole lawn is mostly uniform in its "brownness" and the soil is not moist, then tell your clients that they need to start watering if they want their green lawn back.

Grub damage usually presents in patches or blotches. The damaged grass will also pull up easy. Go to the damaged area and peel back the turf, you may find some grubs.

Turf disease is also a suspect but without pictures it would be difficult to say what disease.

You can find some info and pictures of active diseases here:

Diseases can be tricky because some of them present very similar damage, but are treated very differently. When in doubt, call a small LCO in your area, and let them handle it.

from Zone 6

They all water at least 4 days a week. I tell them to water in the early morning for long intervals.

If it was a grub how deep would they be before I found one?
  6. Grubs graze at root level. When you peel back the turf, you will be near the right depth. Just brush around with your hand if you don't see any and don't forget to check the grass you pulled up for grubs also.

Here are some links for you to read.
  7. Oh Yard Boy

Oh Yard Boy LawnSite Member

Not to far down in the dirt, they look like uncooked shrimp. Could be chinch bugs if that is a problem in your area. The heat is a big factor here all the time and so are grubs. Quarterly fertilizing and fert with insect control and lots of nitrogen seem to solve a lot of problems.

from Zone 6

Thanks guys. Ill post some pics tommorow. Im trying to learn as much as possible. Ill be adding chemicals next year so I need to learn to identify all these problems.
  9. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

"Watering deep four times a week" and the lawn is dying? Sounds like too much water and you may have a fungus issue. Post some pics.
  10. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

thats too low IMO, we cut at 4 inches, as do many other people i know