1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help Please

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by anj, Apr 8, 2006.

1. anj

anj LawnSite Member

I Have A Few Commercial Properties That I Just Took Over. My Problem Is That The Lawns Are Weeded Out. There Was Once Bermuda Grass. Is It Possible To Weed And Feed And Get The GrAss Back Or Will I End Up With A Bunch Of Dirt To Cut?
  2. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like a kill out an reseed issue!!
  3. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

It may be possible to rennovate the lawns. First you'll need to identify the weeds at least into catagories. i.e. broadleaf and grassy. With bermuda, most broadleaf can be taken out with 3-way. Get a soil test to determine the fertilizer requirements and the Ph level of the soil. You also need to determine if disease caused the bermuda decline. Chances are that a good fertilizer and weed control program will greatly improve the lawns but it'll take time and work. I'm from west central Georgia and from the sound of your post, it doesn't sound like you're certified in turf and ornimental. If not, you won't be able to treat the lawns with pesticides without supervision from a certified applicator.
  4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I take on situations like this quite often.

The good news is that with Bermuda, the lawn can be managed back into good condition. A preemergent needs to be applied asap to prevent the situation from getting worse. But of course you also need to kill what is now present.

As Fivestring said, you need to identify the weeds. This time of year, two consective applications of a 3-way type product about 4 weeks apart will remove most of the broadleafs. If you have grassy weeds, you might need Revolver and/or Drive which is expensive. All of this combined with aggressive fertilization (1.5 pounds of N/M) and proper mowing will make a huge difference. Bermuda just needs a little help to recover.

If you don't have the ability spray, tackling this would be a waste of time and money. You should consider subbing this out. You might also consider doing a soil test to determine what nutrients are needed.

Allow about 3 months to get things back in shape.