help please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mrha18017, Nov 13, 2001.

1. mrha18017

mrha18017 LawnSite Member

Im trying to start my own grass cutting buisness in the summer.i was wondering if anyone could help me to get started.what kinda equipment will i need?how much will it cost?how much to charge the customer?how can i get the buisness?

2. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

You need to provide more information.

What kind of customers do you want to target?

What is you budget that you can spend on equipment?

Spend lots of time reading the posts here that seem pertinent to you. You will gain a wealth of information regarding various types of equipment, marketing methods, etc.

Try using the search feature at the top of the page to find specific information.

Develop more specific questions and you will receive good information in reply.

Good luck.

3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

You have a lot if time before summer to get a plan together. I suggest you read, read, read the info on this site and get trade magazines (free) coming your way as soon as possible. I would also suggest to go outside your targeted area and scope out the quality of work the pros are doing and maybe make contact with one. Let him know your intentions and where you'll be working.....anything to get your foot in the door.

If you really want to know what not to do.......................type the word "scrub" in the search feature, there is a wealth of info there.

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Best thing I could tell you is to work for an other lawn service for one year a least. ( If You haven't already) You can learn the ropes and will be a lot more sucessful. There is a lot to learn if you really want to be good and it is a lot easier to learn from some one else instead of you own expensive mistakes. Now there will be a hundren replies that say I am wrong and tell you to throw an add in the paper and go for it. But that .02 comes from man who Been There and Done That. LOL

5. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I gotta agree with ric.

I worked at 3 different lawn cares over 10 yrs. The last one I was at I started when he had 3 guys and him(the owner) working for him. When I left two yrs ago to start my own company He had grown to 5 mowing-2 landscape-1 weeding-1-fert-and an irrigation crew. At the busy time in the Spring we had up to 30 people working. I was the "lawn maintenance supervisor" (grunt with a title and better pay :D ).

but to get to the point, I saw all the dos and don'ts, I got to participate in many seminars, I got my applicators license, expirience on all types of equipment, I also did all the repairs and winter maintenance of the equipment as well as training, ect. ect.

When I was ready to start my own company I knew pretty much everything I needed to know to get started. (the only things I did not know was the office stuff) but learned that very quick.

6. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

If I were to give advise about this sort of thing I would:

1 - Stay in school and maybe shoot for a Hort degree.
    2 - Work for a LCO or a nursery while in school.
    3 - Did I say go to school.
    4 - Buy $20,000.00 worth of equipment and GO FOR IT!:eek:

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

C P

Thank you I missed the stay in school. You did say STAY IN SCHOOL. In fact Mr Ha I am still in school I go to night school and have been going to night school for the last 7 years. Why am I still in college at age 61?? Because you get paid more for what you KNOW than for what you DO. LOL

8. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

mrha, how far are you away from youngstown? if your not to far when this season is over maybe we could get together and i could give you some help.