Help Please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tryz, Mar 14, 2002.

1. tryz

tryz LawnSite Member

I'm writing some introduction letters to send to all the property management companies that are listed in the yellow pages. I tried calling afew to find out the name of the person in charge of this years maintenance contracts and got nowhere. The secretary would either say I'll distribute it because we have 5 property managers in the building or we're already signed up with our landscape company on a two year contract. Is it important to have a contact name and if not who do I address the envelope to so it will get to the right person? Is there another way to get the information I need rather than through the yellow pages? When do property managers decide on their maintenance company - the fall or the spring? any help would be appreciated.

2. E-man

E-man LawnSite Member
    from PA

Most companys have already hired companys for the year. January and febuary are the best times to get ahold of them.

If you want to try to get your foot in the door for next years bidding ,I would maybe stop back in late fall and talk personally to the manager.

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I spoke with some last year and they wanted bids sumitted by late October. The very early bird got the worm!

MATT

4. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

I do the whole mail thing with them most of the time it does work for me. I have found more success in going right into the offices and talking to someone. I am nice not pushy and only take a minute of their time. I work for alot of them. Just make sure you get them to sign a contract. Also put in your contract that they have to pay by the first of each month or pay a late fee. (whatever % Canada allows by law). Most not all, tend to pay late. And when your doing 5,10 or more lawns for them that adds up.
    Travis

5. yarddawg

yarddawg LawnSite Member

If your having trouble getting in to see the managers, food, food, and more food. I start off by droping off dougnuts in the morning with my business card attached. If that doesnt work pizza for lunch, And if that doesnt work invite them out for diner. I call it smooozzing my way in!!!

6. Damn good idea.

I try to get them to come to a complementry lunch meeting.

Yours sounds much cheaper.

7. RMDoyon

RMDoyon LawnSite Member

tryz,

I did a mass mailing one month ago to every prop mgmt. co in the Yellow Pages (65 of them) addressed to "Landscaping Specifier".

I received one call that turned into 3 properties and around $6000 in annual business.

Not bad for a $.35 stamp and three phone calls.

Roger