Help Please!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by polarismalibu, Nov 26, 2009.

1. polarismalibu

polarismalibu LawnSite Member

Hi all this is my first post on this site!

Im graduating high school this year and and thinking i would like to start a landscape company that could start small and hopefully grow to do all services! I am going to be doing my second year snowplowing and plan on doing that on my own next winter so would like to start something this spring!

Just tell me any tips and pointers and anything i need to purchase or should purchase ( starting out small )

Anything that would help me out i would really appreciate it!!

Thanks
    Tim

2. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Tim, I'm Tim too :waving:

First, what kind of experience do you have? Have you done landscape or construction related work before?

After we get an answer to that question, I can help you out more.

3. polarismalibu

I worked for a few weeks for a friend of mine's dad for fall clean ups and i have installed irrigation systems for the company im currently plowing for!

I have also done a bunch of lawns all summer for people i know and really take pride in trying to make them look like something a pro did. so this is something i am serious about doing!!

4. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Well I'm glad you're excited for it. Next question is what do you have now? As far as vehicle, trailer, any kind of equipment?

With your experience, I might suggest working for a landscape organization that specializes in design and hardscapes. Lawn management is easy to learn, but it's always good to know how to install hardscapes.

5. polarismalibu

I have a 2003 F250 crew cab, 2009 20' featherlight trailer, pull behind core plug and a spikier, stihl trimmer, blower and chain saw

At the end of the plowing season after i make some more money im going to get a mower

6. polarismalibu

Also to get a general idea of pricing what is the average market rate for mowing? i know that it varies but i just want a general idea so i can try to see what a potential profit could be to buy equipment with!

7. polarismalibu

Anyone????

8. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Markets are all different. But most solo guys use thr $60hr mark when estimating. I have a $35 min. But as i see on this site, many markets will not accept a $35 min. I average around $84hr mowing.

9. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

also, once you make some posts you will be able to use the search feature and can find all the info you need.

10. polarismalibu

yeah i know that from plowsite but it wouldn't let me on hear