Help pls Trimming Holly Bushes, Chickpea

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by slamdunk, Sep 23, 2004.

1. slamdunk

slamdunk LawnSite Member

I have 3 holly bushes approx 30 yrs old, 15 feet height. They are situated on a steep slope and trimming them is a real pain. I would like to trim them down to manageable size so that I don't have to balance on ladder etc. but don't know what damage I'd do if I took off, say, 7 - 8 feet off top. In other words I want to butcher them.
    Would they come back the next year, two years etc.
    Any helpful suggestions would be welcome.

2nd question
    What is the best way/product to get rid of Chickpea weed?? Tired of handpulling.

2. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

The only answer at this point is to tree form them,make it so you can walk under them and let the rest go.

7-8 feet off the top will greatly damage them

3. slamdunk

slamdunk LawnSite Member

Thanks Norm, will consider that.

4. Rollacosta

Rollacosta LawnSite Senior Member

question is imo what do you want out of the trees a nice rounded pom-pom shape ie the topiary [trimmed ,fancy,] look or do you want nice conical shaped tree's ,you have already said you trimmed them on a regular basis so i guess you want the trimmed look...personaly i would have no problems with taking 5-6 feet off and making the trees fit your environment ,i wouldn't recommend this on any other trees other than hedge /easy to topiary [trim] species...certainly do not do this to deciduous trees

5. Rollacosta

Rollacosta LawnSite Senior Member

oh and by the way the trees will re-grow beleive me...i have worked on hundreds of holly trees...the UK is full of them in all shapes and sizes

6. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

Can you power prune holly or is it true that you have to hand prune them?

7. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Hedge trimmers all the way for me.

I would also just knock off as much as you want off the top. They are a hardy tree and should be able to take it no problem.