HELP!! poison ivy, oak and sumac plants!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by MJK, Jul 6, 2013.

1. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

All over in a tight area around a fence that we need to work in. What do you guys recommend to kill this stuff ahead of time?

2. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Napalm.

Actually, "killing it" isn't the end of the problem. The toxins can remain for something like a year on a dead plant.

And if you DO try to "kill it with fire", don't breathe the smoke - you'll get poison ivy blisters in your lungs.

Good freakin' luck. I just say "Thanks, but no thanks".
    I get it bad. Not worth it to me.

3. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

I heard of a poison foam to spray on everything, anyone hear of that?

4. Colaguy

Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member

Brush killer.

5. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

We usually just use glysophate (active ingredient in round up). I will usually go and spray it once and then go back to spray a second time in three days. After another three days I'll go back and cut the stems with a pair of cheap pruners. Once they are dried out I pull it all out. I am severely allergic to poison ivy, I blister like most people do where the poison ivy oils get on my skin, but I will get the rash over a good 90-95% of my skin even when I only get the oils on a small portion of my leg. When ever I touch poison ivy I immediately clean the area and my hands with Technu, it removes the oils from your skin.

6. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Don't know if your supposed to do this but use double the amount of glysophate mixed with double the amound of 2 4 D and spray it real good, wait 4 days and spray it real good again.

7. Outdoors_Unlimited

Outdoors_Unlimited LawnSite Senior Member

I use 41% gly with a cotton ball and dab it on the leaves.

Seems most time we find it, its growing in ground covers.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Find someone that isn't allergic and pay them well to clear the area.

9. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Friggin' A.

:drinkup:

10. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I used to be that guy until I was overdoesed with the stuff one time and then became susceptible... I cleared a large section of riverbank with a corn knife one afternoon... chopped it to bits as if clearing a jungle pathway... :)