Help possible career change.your opinions needed

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by sgthigg, Aug 7, 2006.

1. sgthigg

sgthigg LawnSite Member
    from S MS

I am writing this because my currrent career is in the balance.

I live in the Biloxi area of MS. I have been here for almost 3 yrs now. I came here after a tour on deployment for operation iraqi freedom in 2003. SInce I am active duty military I am up for rotation in Nov. I joined the USMC at the age of 23. I have learned alot. About self drive,disicipline, work ethic, managing people and personalitys. Making it happin with nothing..lol It has also made me where when I hear "I cant" iIts worse than taking the lords name in vane.lol "I cant" isnt in my vocabulary. I have had an very good career in the military so far. I made E-6 in less the 7 yrs. Wich is in the top 10 % of my job field. After my current contract runs out I will have a total of 9 yrs of active service. Almost half way to the 50% base pay retirement.
    Here is my delima. I love working with Marines but the bureacracy and BS I have to deal with ie 1 yr tours to iraq, 90 days here and there for various schools, substandard health care for me and family(wife and 2 kids). I dont want to look at my 2 yr old, and wife and think of ever missing another day of their life . + I hate my actual job. Its lame. I am fed up with it. I will need to make a decision here in about 45 days wether to stay in or get out. If i decide to get out I will have 1.8 yrs of steady paychecks from them till I actualy get out.

I have always wanted to do something on my own. And it seems like this is a decent way for me to do it. I did this for a resort about a year straight before I joined in SW fl. However the mil is a very very stable income.

I currently make about 4K a month gross.
    I wil have had 9 yrs total in the mil when I am discharged.
    Would it be stupid of me to make this move and go into the commercial lawn care business? I do have a little time to build it up before I am actually released. I own a truck out right. I can afford bottom line commercial equipment right now. So I know I dont have it as hard as some has when they started out.
    I cannot stop thinking about it. It is consuming me. The wife supports me no matter what and to the end. She is awesome. But I am flip flopping in my mind on this every hr or so on what I should do.

I guess I am looking for experienced members here for any help on this. Especialy members near the MS coast.
    Biloxi was ravished by the hurrican. However she is comng back. This economy IS growing back to where it was befor ethe hurricane. It was growing before it was hit too. Thats why I think it would be good to do this here. Anyways

Would it be a wise decision to change career fields? Would it be profitable for my family for me to change careers?

Thank you for you thoughts and reading this.

2. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

The only thing I would suggest is that you pick an area that is truely growing. You are lucky in that if need be you can relocate. Don't start a business in a area that doesn't need another LCO.

3. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Get in your twenty first. then you'll have full retirement benefits for life.Thats what1/2 pay? for the rest of your life.

4. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

I absolutely agree! Can you cross train into another job? Maybe something new will be a challenge for you to learn.:usflag:

5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

The moon maybe the only place left:laugh:

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Ditto--Ditto

7. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

We are close-- 9000 homes permited

Do good on one job --Many Many Many to follow

8. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

if you dont like your current job
    , then go do something you would like to do. I'm in Pensacola not far from you and business is booming here. before you do anything, sit down with your wife and plan your career change, list all the pros and cons of a new career.

9. WetWell

WetWell LawnSite Member

I think you are making a mistake if you leave the military, the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence, but in this case there may not be enough grass to cover what you are already making.

10. TeeCee

TeeCee LawnSite Member

I got out of military after 9 1/2 years. Ran several businesses as well as worked for others. There is plenty of opportunity both in and out of the service. Also, if you want to get out there is federal government employment....I now work at the VA and bought back my service time and will retire in 10 years at 56 with about 1800/month in pay. Only work 14 days a month and spend the rest of my time running various businesses. Not sure it helps but it is my view on the matter. As far as getting work, once you make a name for yourself by doing good work then the work will be more than you can handle. Then you start the next business and keep adding on.