Help price this...aerial shot included

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PLM-1, Jan 4, 2006.

1. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am bidding on this "village". I have only bid on a few like this and lost all of them. :confused:

The picture doesn't show the area complete for some reason but it is. This is a new addition with 104 townhomes (52 buildings). The regular mow, edge, trim, blow is required, along with 4 fertilizer only applications.

Give me all your input!

2. PLM-1

...and the picture usually helps!

village.jpg

3. PLM-1

The others I have bid on in the area were about the same as these. I basically bid them at $13-$20 per building, which, I thought was somewhat low; I wasn't even close to the low bidder. Any thoughts? Yes, I know my costs. I have a pretty good idea of what I am going to submit. Just curious to your opinion.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

All I can really say is "good luck."

I've never had much luck either with large properties that are all cut up like that. Too dang time consuming and trim/edge intensive. Plus that looks like some nice very white concrete and curbing. These sites are really hard to service effciently. You almost need mowers that "carpet cut" with not stripe effect at all to speed the mowing any at all. Hope you got room to haul out a pressure washer and power sweepers too.

I don't know about your area, but in mine, these get lowballed so bad that I just don't bother with competition bidding anymore. They usually go to the lowest bidder, which is never me. Generally I find the ones who get these are family-type lowballer outfits that will make a full time job out of a site or two like this. Either that or a crappy lowballer company with a lot of low wage employees.

5. PLM-1

One nice thing about this complex is that I actually talked to the owner. This is also the first year for maintenance, so he said. I will be curious to see who gets this one. He called off of one of my flyers oddly enough.

6. Duck Dodger

Duck Dodger LawnSite Senior Member

I would go as low as 10 per unit. Once you get the trimming under controll try useing a growth regulator. These can be profitable you just have to be effecient.

7. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

My Father inlaw lives in a similar place and is on the board of directors and he tells me that they pay like 8 bucks per unit( 2 units per building) which i consider low for the amount of bosses that they have ( to many on board think they have you by the ba!!$ ) and he wonders why as iam in the biz why i wont bid on it noway noway !!!!!

8. JLL25

JLL25 LawnSite Member

Its kind of hard to say without being able to physically walk the property myself, but atleast $500 for the mowing.

9. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Hard to tell by just the picture, but if I had to guess by it, I would figure from $648 to $768. I came to that figure from calculating the approx size of the front = $8.00 and guessed at approx how many lots of that size fit in your map. 81 to 96