Help pricing a landscaping job

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Hoeferlawn, May 26, 2009.

1. Hoeferlawn

Hoeferlawn LawnSite Member

Doing my first small landscaping job and need some help pricing the job. First off Do you charge by the plant or by the hour? Very new to this aspect of the business and need help.

6 knockouts
    3 fountain grass
    20 liriope
    10 daylillies
    4 Weigelas
    various flowers to fill in

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I generally price out the plants and material and add 25% + -, to cover expenses for picking up etc....

Then I add in my labor.

3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

570, not including flowers. plus payment for drivetime to and from job.

4. nowayklown

nowayklown LawnSite Member

i charge by the plant installed. 2 gal pots i charge 35 per if that gives you an idea. also take into consideration bed prep, if you need to till or remove grass fertilize anything of that nature should be priced accordingly as a labor cost

5. you need to break down what needs to be done to complete this job in its entirety. Do you need to make new beds? remove sod to extend beds? Rip out old plants? break it down and charge for everything. This includes pickup/delivery of material, disposal of old plants/containers etc. I charge the customer what they would pay at the nursery(which is usually 100% of WS) and add labor to install the plants. If i need to rip out old plants, that's another charge. If i need to make a bed or extend a bed or transplant a plant, those are all additional charges. You should be getting paif for EVERYTHING that is involved in getting the job done. I like to make $50/hour on cutting,cleanups,etc. On landscaping jobs, i like to get $75/hour. There is a lot more involved and its a lot more detailed and time consuming. We need to get paid accordingly.

6. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

We multiply the wholesale price of the plant by 2.25 to get a retail price. We multiply that by 1.5 for the installed price of the plant including warranty.

Any type of bed preparation (sod stripping, adding soil and or compost) is extra.

7. unit28

unit28 LawnSite Bronze Member

I multiplied 1.55 to each job to cover labor.
    And that was back in 95...maybe I had a good salesman?
    Or is this still standard..what's up?

Anyway, I'm out of retirement funds,.... so off to work I go.

8. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

There is no standard price or standard way to calculate it. Not everyone can get the same money for the same job. Not every customer base is going to pay the same price.

If you are brand new at this and you charge the same as a well established proven company, the customer would most likely go with the established company. If the customer wants to save money, he might be inclined to hire an unproven installer if it costs less.

You also have to know that someone who has been doing this for a long time knows how long it will take, how much it will cost him, and what to do to give the plant the best opportunity to thrive. He will also have enough job requests that he does not need to get every job, so he can price for profit. A new guy does not have the phone ringing off of the hook, so getting any job is important.

All you can do is to price out how much all of the materials will cost YOU, how long itwill take you to do (including clean up, disposal, and/or mulch...), what is a normal labor rate in your area, and add a percentage for profit. Then see if you get the job - this can indicate whether you are over charging (but a cheap client could be the case). If you get the job, keep track of every bit of time that you put into it including phone calls, drive times, ... and all expenses. That will help you price better next time.

9. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

For me 2-3x the cost of the plant is about what I charge. It just depends on how big the job is.

10. Turf Logic

Turf Logic LawnSite Member

On that small of a job we would be 3x the cost of a material plus delivery time.