Help Pricing A Sod Install - Customer had a disaster

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by lawnsplus, Mar 22, 2006.

1. lawnsplus

lawnsplus LawnSite Member

Well I am kind of new here.

I have a potential customer that had a disaster last fall.

They had another contractor install a patio and they drove over the lawn several hundred times with a bobcat, the grass was only 6 months old at that point and still very soft.

Well needless to say they had a mess.

Now to make matters worse they tried to fix it them selves and it looks horrible.

Anyway, the way I see it is they need to have 2100 Square feet of existing turf cut out, ruts need to be graded and leveled, and they insist on new sod and not seed.

So a run down on this would be:

2100 square feet of prep- 4 hours? 2 guys $280.00
    Sod cost is 346.66 x 1.75 = charge $600.00 for sod
    .35 per square foot installation charge x 2100 = $735
    Roller and sod cutter rental $100 cost for the day. x 1.75= $175
    Material disposal fee of $100.00 x 1.75 = $175

So does this prep time sound like it is enough time for 2 people considering the mess the yard is in now?
    What markup do you charge on materials? (obviously I was thinking 75%)
    Is .35 per square foot or $3.00 per square yard a good price to install?
    Labor rates vary I know but I am currently charging $35.00 per man hour, is this too high or too low?

At my current price this would be quoted at $1965.00

Also some of the existing sod could be reused, after I cut it out and grade the area, is this feasible? I think at least 50% of it could be salvaged.

Thanks guys and gals,

Glenn

2. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Salvaging sod - It's more trouble than it's worth. You won't be able to get nice uniform pieces because the original seams from when it was laid might still be there and the Bobcat tracks would have made the thickness uneven.
    $35 per man hour - If your in the huntley west of Chicago that I'm thinking of you should be charging $50 per hour
    $3 per yard - Our installed price is $6.25 per yard which includes sod, labor to lay and finish grade the soil

Your prep time sound good. I'd up the total price a few hundred.

3. lawnsplus

lawnsplus LawnSite Member

Anyone else with some more info?

Opinions?

hmmm.....

4. Stuckwithit

Stuckwithit LawnSite Member

the easiset method I have used the past four years....figure out your total price for material, typically mark it up 100%, how many man hours, and see what money it is worth to you at the given time.

5. ferdinand711

ferdinand711 LawnSite Member

grading, cleanup (preparation) 2100 sq ft=$325.00
    sod installed @$2.45/sq yard(1 roll)x240 sq yrd(2100/9) =$588
    dumping fee/disposal=$200
    equipment rental=???

I charged $650 grading/prep. per 850-900 sq ft(1,000 rolls)double it if it needs clean up like this,$2.45/sq yrd(1 roll)installed, thats materials and labor. your area is 2100 sq ft divide it by 9 to get the sq yrd=233.333 round it up to 240 sq yrd(240 rolls).thats what i charged for disposal and I don't know how much is your equipment rentals. I'm from Northwest Indiana, I'm not saying you should charge them like this but i hope you'll get an idea of where to play your prices. Hope this will help.

6. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

2100sft of sod installed = $2100.00. That is by my estimates at least 5 pallets of sod that will need to be delivered to the job site by the sod company. I would add some minor additional money for prep and haul off.

7. BW Landscaping

BW Landscaping LawnSite Member

i make it very easy for me and the customer.....to many numbers confuse the customer (and me :rolleyes: )

i make it $0.99 to $1.09 a sq ft, feel the customer out, well that works for me

8. ACutAboveNC

ACutAboveNC LawnSite Member

I charge $1 a sq ft to make things easy on me. You can spend all day figuring out how much everything will cost you in the end and it will come up to about $1 a sqft.

9. bishoplandscape

bishoplandscape LawnSite Member

Just to install the sod assuming its already prepped we would charge 2.55sq ft that includes sod and labor and we do acres a year. Sod here only cost me
    .11-.12sq ft so we install for around .28sq ft... But for something that small we would charge more.

10. ferdinand711

ferdinand711 LawnSite Member

we get the sod at $0.17/sq ft that's $1.53/sq yrd(1 roll) and the charge here is from $2.35-$3.00/sq yrd installed (labor and materials) if you include grading its about $3.10-3.75 (labor,materials and grading)per sq yrd. but you guys are talking $1.00/sq ft that's $9.00/sq yrd(1 roll)of sod. gee!!!! you guys are blessed, grass must be greener on your side of the fence.