1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help pricing fertilizing

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Husky03, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

Beleive it or not I had one of my very first request for fertilizing today. I am not liscensed to apply any of this type of stuff so the customer usually does it if they want it done. Anyways, if the homeowner buys it I am able to apply it. Since I have never done this I don't have the slightest clue how much to charge for this. The yard was probably about 1/3 of an acre. Keep in mind the customer will be paying for the material and he is only paying me to apply it. Any help appreciated. :)
  2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

You must have a guess. You dont have to pay for a license, go buy it, just put it down. How long will that take? 10 min?
  3. Husky03

I have called around and have been told that you must have a license and to get that you must be 18 years old and if you are not 18 years old you have to work with someone for one year and then go take a written test to get it. Either way do you have an idea about the price?

4. plateau lawn care

plateau lawn care LawnSite Member
    from georgia

Most places you must have a license to put it out just because your so called not charging for it you are charging to put it down. Most people who are going to fine you will also say you just added it into your mowing price so their is know way around it. But if you want to take the chance charge $10 bucks and throw it out. I dont do it I just sub it out.
  5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Are you talking about straight fertilizer, or are you talking about weed control aslo?

Also, which state are you from?
  6. Husky03

gogetter: I think he wants to do the weed and feed mixture stuff. As for the license I called the Indiana place for chemicals. I can't remember the name and they told me that it was legal if the homeowner supplied the material and I applied it. I figure if I use a walkbehind thrower it will probably take me around an hour to do the whole yard. Thanks for the help. :)
  7. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Please go into your 'USER CP' and then your 'Edit Profile" and enter your location such as your city and state. That is helpful so people with more knowledge about your area (i.e. laws) can usually give you better answers on a variety topics.
  8. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Husky you are wrong. I am from Indiana and a Commercial applicator. You can not put any material down for hire... with out a being a commercial applicator. No matter who buy what. Call Carl Rew at the indiana State Chemist office. www.isco.com

Any way if you still insist on doing it your way

heres the pricing

43,560 sqft 153-173

break up your own square footages but the price above is per acre.
  9. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Hisch is right. Just because the homeowner buys it doesn't mean you can legally apply it. Pass it off to a licensed applicator. If you want to make money off it bill it through you and upcharge or ask for a commission.

The fines for an unlicensed application start at $5000 in my state, didn't get that far reading your regs.
  10. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

That's the wrong URL for the State Chemist's Office. The correct one is http://isco.purdue.edu.

But he's right. Doesn't matter who pays for the fertilizer/weed killer, if you're being paid to apply it you MUST be licensed.

Better to just sub it out to someone else.