Help pricing out my first landscaping job

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by bballv20, Jul 2, 2010.

1. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

You don't put weed fabric down for mulch.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Lefet

Lefet LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm curious why this is. We maintain a couple of properties who have had their mulch done by another larger company before us. They used weed block/fabric. We generally do the job however the customer requests. Should we be trying to deter them from using it? Is it a waste of time or is there really some benefit?
    The one property, they ripped up a good 300' of frontage, both sides of the driveway, put down paper, then mulch.
    Not trying to start anything, Mom always said, "If you don't know, ask! The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked".
    Thanks

3. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

4. Lefet

Lefet LawnSite Bronze Member

5. scottrees

scottrees LawnSite Member

I use thepiratebay.org alot. There are several other good sites out there as well.

6. NarNar

NarNar LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the links ajslands! I just picked up a new tip from one of the links. Have you tried using "newspapers?" I don't use weed fabic or newspapers, but their are a few LCO that insist newspaper work. I will try it.

7. garden.nanny

garden.nanny LawnSite Member

Isn't the mulch to keep the weeds out?

By the way, this isn't anything personal but I would like to know if you are licensed and carry insurance?

I only ask the question to prove something to another member that asked me the same thing.

I appreciate whatever you can tell me.

8. NarNar

Mulch is generally use to assist the soil retain moisture. In addition Mulch keeps the the ground cool. I would suggest 3-4 inches. This will cover the weeds and blocks out the sun "I sound like 300"... Mulch also supress weeds. Some weeds have seedling in the mulch =0(. Mulch is also used as a decorative add on. I would suggest organic mulch, as that can help fertilize the soil.

9. NarNar

We have PC to put the program on, thanks. I just prefer to work with MAC, but my fiance is a wiz with PC. She does all the designing. I am just getting into it. Can you imagine, the labor, is now wanting to get creative :)

10. scottrees

scottrees LawnSite Member

Yeah, I do the design work, then my wife tells me its all wrong and makes e change half of it. Everytime I tell her to mind her own business sher reminds me that I listed her as a partner because of her wonderful credit rating. Go figure.