help pricing overgrown lot

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobby perez, Aug 3, 2007.

1. bobby perez

bobby perez LawnSite Member

I'm about to submit a bid on a overgrown lot.The lot size is about 40 x 100.Weeds are about 6 to 8 feet tall and a few small trees need to come down.I was thinking of renting a brush cutter 24 inches. The job is in the South Jersey area.I'm figuring about 495.00 for the job .Is this to low a bid or to high? Probably Poison Ivy and all that good stuff in there.Any body Know that lotion you put on before you go into that stuff to prevent you from picking up the poison? Thanks for the Input.
  2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Do you have to clean up or just leave it?
  3. bobby perez

No.I will probably give a price on both.The topic was not discussed I figured I'll give a price on both.did'nt want to do the job but since their is no green grass to cut might as well.The price I quoted earlier is for non removal of debris
  4. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

yeah bobby, if thats just leaving it then thats a decent price. Ive done ones similar in size with my brushcutters for $400~, but it was basically ALL the same type weeds half inch round at best but 5+ft tall. If your hauling it away, im gonna start subbin you out for my work :weightlifter:

Anyway, with poison ivy though, i up the price substantially. I dont need the crap of being out of work for days till i recover if i get ivy or my workers. It severly slows down the job completion time.

Theres usually good stuff from Technu brand, i have their normal stuff then also their extreme scrub best used i think in the shower with a cold water.

I also use ivydry which is a alcohol spray and as SOON as i itch, you can spray that on and helps it a ton.

The technu stuff, you can apply it to arms, hands etc AHEAD of time if you think youll contact the ivy, good especially if you know youll get splattered with it.
  5. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Well if you ever watched the "Worlds fastest Indian" when Burt Monroe was throwing gas on his front yard and putting a match to it, his neighbor screamed What are you doing? He saw mowing the lawn! LOL
    If you haven't rented this movie, its great and true!
  6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

That was a great movie. :)
  7. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

We gotta seek this one out, dave and Tom. Sounds as funny as Jack Palance mowing the lawn in "Cops and Robertsons" with Chevy Chase!

Bobby, always go at least twice the rental and/or materials costs plus the customary overhead for your area, which in most areas is around 30% at least to be fully insured, licensed, all the trappings. Consider "degree of difficulty clause" to be assessed for extra hours - especially if you're charged with hauling away the mess, or the growth turns out to be profuse enough to warrant extra blades ( do the grasses and vines prior the woody growth first, if possible ).

You sound on par with the east coast, as a bro in Balto and cuz in NYC seem to agree with u in a reply PM to them we just did with them, so bid with confidence.

To negotiate with customers a good 10 -20 minutes isn't uncommon for those customers requesting discounts. Always give a discount for their buying today, to be applied to a check you can personally pick up from them as a retainer if at least $100-$150 as soon as you hang up the phone with them, or to obtain while already in person is better convenient opportunity for them to buy from you today also.

Wear long pants and sleeves, and leather palm gloves. This is better as thrift store clothes to be thrown away after the job, and not reused including the leather palm gloves.

8. bobby perez

The job is for a regular customer.I could charge her whatever and she would probably say ok. I just don't want to rake her ,or under bid myself.I figure a good 8 hours Me and my son.Every time I estimate these jobs it takes me 2x as long as I figured.You know how it is when you 1st look at it,doesn't seem like that much of a deal, then when your in the thick of it you start thinking I should of charged X amount of dollars.
  9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

We did one on Monday night. Lot size was about 75x 100, with a few big trees on both sides. It was grass and weeds with some thistles and burdocks about 6' high. We just had to knock it down, property hadn't been cut in several years these are new owners. Took 45 minutes using my 4x4 Steiner and 5' front mount deck. I could have done it quicker but they were watching so I gave them their monies worth. $120.00 plus taxes. From now on biweekly will be $60 plus taxes. We can use roundup and with our Bobcat will likly only take 15 or 20 minutes to cut then. Unload cut load back up, no getting off machine. Just down the street from one we already do. Killed at least 10 mice I seen.
  10. bobby perez

Damn takes me that long just too drink my coffee and my start up cigarrette.