1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Help Pricing Trim Jobs

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JConner, Aug 16, 2008.

1. JConner

JConner LawnSite Member

I was mowing one of my regular weekly customers earlier this morning and she simple asked me if i could trim her bushes. i jumped the gun of coarse and said sure 20.00 dollars. She only has a row of 6 lugustrums 4 ft tall and 3 ft wide and 4 singular boxwoods. she jumped on it. Maybe 30 minutes tops cleaned up and out of there. I'm not sure how everyone prices is there a hourly rate. i know you dont charge the customer hourly rate but i was wondering how to price these jobs. She said yes so quick i was thinking her last guy must of charged her more
    sorry posted the last one in the wrong place
    thanks for any help
    Justin

2. TPLawnPro

TPLawnPro LawnSite Senior Member

Hello there Justin from Inverness. We purchased our boat down there about 5 years ago from Apopka Marine and trailered it all the way back here to Metairie, Louisiana.
    We thoroughly enjoyed the trip.

As for trimming shrubs, IMO, you probably did alright. Usually whenever we take on additional tasks other than routine mowing maintenance, we charge our clients $30 per hour for things like shrub trimming, tree pruning, weed pulling, etc. However, if we can forsee that it is going to be a potentially messy job that might take 30 minutes to an hour, I will charge them a flat rate of $45; but in all actuality $30 per hour seems to be just right.

Hope this helps.

3. JConner

JConner LawnSite Member

thanks i didnt think that that was too cheap but just wanted to double check
    ive really allways been that way just enough to get the job but now i am starting to see that not only do i not make enough money on some of these jobs but i am also lowballin and well i just dont want to be that kind of gut but thanks for the help

4. kabrac

kabrac LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Knee high shrubbery $3.50 a shrub. Knee to chest high $5.00 a shrub. Over chest high $10.00 and up. Grooming, shaping, out of control, whatever, I think this is a fair price. Never hourly on shrubbery for me.

5. JConner

JConner LawnSite Member

thanks for the help

6. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

Have you ever sat down and figured out every last expense it cost to run your business? I have a long list in excel and in an expense program. My list is huge, Gas (equipment & trucks), five different insurances, repairs (equipment & vehicles), oil, maintenance (equipment & vehicles) huge list for that, advertising, dues, subscriptions, licenses the list goes on and on. After figuring all of it out add it all up divide it by how many hours you work in a year that number will be your hourly expense rate (what it takes to keep your business a float) now from there add your your salary. Your not making squat mowing, nobody really does but its a great way to up sell, a $20 rate for trimming wont even cover my cost for cleaning up the trimmings let along having to dump it. trimming isn't easy it takes special tools and skill to trim properly, your selling your self way short.

7. capnsac

capnsac LawnSite Senior Member

Do what TPlawnpro suggested. $30/hr is extremely reasonable, but be sure to charge them for disposal separately, and while you are disposing those clippings be sure to continue to charge them that hourly rate. Once all is said and done you will have made yourself some good money. Best of luck

8. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I charged one of my customers $20 to prune 5 small bushes. It took me 10 minutes. If it's going to take 30 minutes or more, I'll charge an hourly rate, otherwise, $20-$30 is fine.

9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I have one customer that wants me to trim all of the shrubs and bushes but doesn't want to pay anymore then what she pays to mow. The grass is slowing down a bit so every other week, I mow but every other week I trim now. I get $65 to mow, I started trimming and work 1 hour every other week to do trimming. Next week I'll only mow.

10. Mike's LawnCare Landscape

Mike's LawnCare Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Thats what IM doing now . Grass is slow and I do a little extra on other things !!!
    Last week I got 3 more jobs on the same rd!!!:)
    It pays to be nice