help pull 91 fence posts

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by jonnyz37, Jul 31, 2014.

1. jonnyz37

jonnyz37 LawnSite Senior Member

hey guys....i have a project coming up and want to know if there is a better way of doing things. There are 91 4X4" fence posts that i need to remove. They are not concreted in...just buried down about 18 inches and after 20 years are quite firmly in place. So im planning on using a tire rim up against the posts....with a chain around their base and pulling them out with my truck.
    Does anybody have a faster method? Thanks guys

2. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah an excavator with thumb or a bobcat with grapple. Wouldn't take any time at all
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Or a bobcat and a chain

4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

After 20 years I'm surprised they aren't firmly rotted, PT lumber or otherwise. The chain and truck will be just as fast. Why spend money for the Bobcat. Even better if you have a helper. You drive, he hooks and chucks it in the bed, repeat down the line.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. jonnyz37

jonnyz37 LawnSite Senior Member

yeah that was my plan....dont want to spend $250 when it seems like it would only save me a couple of hours.

6. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Pole jack would be easiest and most professional IMHO. Pretty much take a farm jack and chain. Choke the chain around the pole or use a cable. Drive a hard head to hold the chain choked and jack it out. Truck and rim is similar to what I describe.

7. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Just drive the truck through all the posts dukes of hazzard style and film it

8. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

thats what i was thinkin , just runnem over but slowly as in push them over with rear bumper

9. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

You're going to spend more time fixing damage than pulling posts out if you use truck. Not to mention look like a haCk
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

What he said. The right tool for the job is always the best way.