Help !Question for those who work solo.........

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by PhillyShells, Mar 14, 2007.

1. PhillyShells

PhillyShells LawnSite Member

I work alone and was wondering..........
    Who else works that way and if you have for many years do you have a backup plan in case your are unable to work (due to illness or whatever ) for a long period of time ? Do you have an aggreement with others to cover you ?

2. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

I work alone.... sometimes wonder what I'd do if I got hurt... or sick. Then I put it out out of my head. :hammerhead: I do want to grow... my short term goal is two trucks on the road. Commercial and residential. But keeping it a relatively simple operation. Foreman and two helpers in each truck. But it's going to take some time... until then I work my @ss off to put the coin' in the bank, more equipment in the garage, flyers on the doors. If I get sick.... hopefully it'll just be the flu in the winter. :clapping:

3. lazerslicer05

lazerslicer05 LawnSite Member

I've been working solo for four years going on five every now and then i will have a friend help me out though..... If i know it is going to rain that week i will get ahead the day before.. i do get massive migraines and every now and then they pop up in mid day leaving me to pack up and go home for four hours or so.... but i have been able to catch up so i don''t have to work weekends i'm in michigan and have about 76 accts ranging from 22-90 dollars a cut.. i cut about 15 a day sometimes 20......Trying to stay small so i don't have to hire anyone but its becoming harder and harder every year...

4. NELawnCare

NELawnCare LawnSite Member

I work with an unofficial partner...my 16-year old son. For now it works great. He gets paid more than working fast-food and I get the help from a 6' tall semi-adult. I dread that at some point it will end, but if we drum up enough business to make some good money, then maybe he'll stay with me. I love me son! Best son anyone could ask for! Works hard.

5. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Buy disability insurance. If you got really sick (not just the flu), or lost a limb or something and couldn't work, you would be screwed.

6. F&SLawnCo

F&SLawnCo LawnSite Member

I worked this into my business plan when I was a solo operator. Over the course of my first 3 seasons, I was able to put back one years salary. i have never had to use it so it was nice when I started adding employees to be able to use that money to invest elsewhere.