Help Quick Please!!!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Gatewayuser, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

HELP!!! :help: I just changed my engine oil on my gateway kaw using penzoil 5w-30 and now the oil looks milky. What does this mean and can I run it or do I need to change the oil again?

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

When the oil looks milky it usually has some water in it. . In your post it says you just changed it, If you havent ran it very long , it may just be air bubbles working there way out of the filter and passages and this will cause it to look milky also. Has the mower been out in the rain or is it a water cooled engine? if so i would change it

3. Gatewayuser

I changed the filter also, and I did not start it yet. This mower has not been in the rain for months and its air cooled. Thanks for the help! :waving:

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I would guess it is air in the oil from pouring it in the crank case, check it in a day or so or later today and see if it looks more normal. Sometimes an engine will sweat and biuld up condesation or water that will be in the engine, a lil water doesnt hurt to bad, antifreese is a bearing killer

5. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Change it again what's 2 quarts of oil.

6. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

Smell the old oil and if it smells like gas you have a carb. problem

7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Your Kawasaki uses 30W.

Change the oil and filter.

Oldtimer

8. Gatewayuser

I'am using 5W-30 because it is winter, thats the recommended oil for the cold.
    The milkiness went away, I guess it was just a lot of very little air bubbles. Thanks for all the help! :)

9. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

You are using the wrong oil man I alos have a Gateway. the recommendation is on the dip stick it tells what to use thats what you use. as far as cold weather you should stick to the same oil. Just my 2 cents. my gateway has never had any problems yet.

10. Gatewayuser

OOOPPs :blush: I'm sorry my bad I checked the bottle and I used 10w-30 Like the manual says. I was thinking of what I put in my truck yesterday. :dizzy: