help, quick

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, May 25, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

can anyone help me with this. the handles on my walk behind are too wide, and too tight. in other words, it's very hard to squeeze them to stop, turn, etc. how do i lessen the tension? thanx

2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobby, on the linkages between the handles and the " idler/tension pulley" deal adjust the handles so that they are closer to the "handle bars/ grips".

If you look at the all thread looking part of the linkages, find the adjuster, take the hairpin out and then turn the adjuster so that you lengthen the control rods. This may help some. Just make sure that you still have enough throw to properly control the machine, and engage the brakes..

If the EFFORT to squeeze the handles is still too high, look for an adjustment to lessen the tension that the idler pullies' springs exert against you.. On the older Lesco/ Mtd commercial mowers there was actually an easy to use adjustment to do this. If your machine doesn't have them, you may try to find some spings that take less force.. Pm me with pix of your machine in the Idler pulley area and I'll help you if this wasn't a good enough explanation...

3. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

after 8000 posts its odd that you are asking this question....

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

BooBy

By adding a Velky it may solve your problem. I also suggest placing a milk crate on top of the velky to stand on. Once you are able to see over the the handle bars instead of through them your hands will be in better position to squeezes the brake handles.