Help....Quickly please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Carolina Cutter, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

OK guys....got a customer that wants those decorative stones like Lowe's sells placed around the front of the house and some older shrubs removed and a new flowerbed created in the front area of the yard. I think there is going to be 97' of stones (12" ones) around the front shrub area stacked 3 high. I am not sure of the amount for the flowerbed, probably close to the same total. As for removing the shrubs...there will be no disposal on my part just take to the street for the city.........and then I will be installing new shrubs in the places.

I am asking for your help because I mainly do maintenance work (there's plenty of that here...enough to stay busy...but you know it is winter) and dabble in this type stuff.

OH....and she is going to have the stones delivered so there is no delivery charges to be assesed. SHOULD I charge hourly for this job????

2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

She is having the blocks delivered, so you are missing out on a markup there. You need to give a little more info, like: what the locaton looks like, how the grade changes, if you are going to have a buried run in addition to the 291 12" blocks, how far you have to carry them to the site from the pallets, what type of shrubs being removed( size, root mass, location to house, etc..), what you are putting in as replacements, can you sub out the removals to a stump grinder if needed, access to the yard, etc.......

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Merlin, just as a word of caution in case you are not. You MUST have a separate State Issued Landscape Contractors License issued by the NC Landscape Contractors Board to do landscape contracting which this is. This board is the NC State Regulatory Agency that enforces that and they do it very strictly and this license is Required by North Carolina General Statues even. You can find a link to their website on the State of North Carolina Website.

Also if I had to guess I would guess that at least from time to time they (as I'm sure other regulating agencies also do) probably montor sites such as this one and any others dealing with the green industry as I know the director well and have for probably 15 years and he takes this licensing very seriously.

4. Carolina Cutter

Well...first off thanks for jumping right in here.

Yea, delivery will be better for me too. THe lawn is mostly flat very little work to get the flatness needed to lay the block.

Should I have a buried run....what are the advantages, disadvantages? I am going to try and sell that to her but need some facts to back it up.

I am going to meet with the supplier and let them know where to place the pallets of block in relation to the install. Gonna make this easy on me if I can.

The shruba are old. They are kinda spindly at the bottom from years of incorrect trimming. The are about 3 1/2' tall but the biggest "trunk" is about 2 1/2" around. Chain saw will dispose of them nicely. Plan on doing a little diggin and chopping to remove the stumps.

Probably gonna be install azealas or redtips in the place of the old.

Oh and customer wants to go and pick out all plants and have them delivered too. I have already told her that the only "warranty" on this wil be that I will warranty that if it dies....I will dig it up and replant her new plant.

One thing that has struck my attention though is that she is having A LOT of work done to this house. It's a recent purchase for her (her 2nd house). She is having the kitchen redone, all the trees removed from the yard, tile layed, and the driveway replaced. Since I am not going to warranty any of the plants that is why I was thinking hourly. What would you do or charge?? :help:

5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I just read Mike's post above, and he had some really good info there..but I'm not telling you how to run your business, but I would watch, though.

You need a buried course for stability and to ensure a level run. If the stones are just laid on the earth, they will shift, settle, lean, etc..You need a properly prepared base before putting anything down. I would bid kind of high in my head to come about the price.You are losing a markup on materials, so the only thing you are charging for is time. With a prepared base, you should bea able to lay that out in a little more than a half day. Solo, probably a day and a half, start to finish, depending on the plant installs/removals. Don't forget to figure in mulch or stone for the beds when you are done.

6. Carolina Cutter

Yea he does have a good point......might work it with another guy in the area that has the license so that we are covered.

I got a feeling that this is going to be a headache but I have had her as a customer all year and would like to help her out.

7. MMLawn

merlin, I don't know what you plan on charging but in what you have listed I believe any NC landscape company would be in the low thousands ($1-$3K) probably at least.

8. Carolina Cutter

I went to the site and I have a question...after reading the attached does this mean that I have to quite my maintenance business and work for somebody else for 3 years or go to school? Is there no challenging the test??

89D-5. Application for certificate; examination; renewal.

Any person, partnership, association or corporation hereinafter desiring to register and be titled as a landscape contractor shall make written application for a certificate of title to the Board on such forms as are prescribed by the Board. Each applicant for a certificate of title as a landscape contractor shall be at least 18 years of age. Prior to July 1, 1976, each applicant for a certificate shall have been actively engaged as an untitled landscape contractor for at least one year prior to date of application. After July 1, 1976, an applicant shall furnish evidence satisfactory to the Board of three years' 'experience in landscape contracting or the completion of a study or combination of study and experience in landscape contracting equivalent to three years' experience under a landscape contractor.

9. MMLawn

I don't know about challenging the test. But I do know that that if you read the entire Statue that on the "maintaining" of landscaping you are "probably" okay without a license if you 1) Only do minor maintenance such as mulch, pinestraw and or replacing (only, no new install) plants/shrubs 2) as long as you do NOT call your self or in anyway use the word landscaping, landscaper, landscape contractor. But building walls and complete landscape design and or replacement would call for the license as it also would even if you just use the word landscape or any varation of in in any form as a business, even in your billing.

10. Carolina Cutter

Well that pretty much wraps up what I do. Maintenance. I do not ust the term in any thing I do......I own a lawn service. No where is landscaping on any of my advertising, billing, or equipment.