Help Quickly

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Seanl33, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Seanl33

Seanl33 LawnSite Member
    from NH

Wich is the better truck F250,Dodge2500,GMC2500HD,Chevy2500HD in need input quickly (or if anyone has one of these do u like it ?)

2. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd say as of now, the F-250 is the best. The bugs have been worked out of the 6-Liter diesel for a little over a year, the Torqshift auto is awesome, they have the most reliable 4x4 system too, using a lever in the floor and a lever 4x4 selector, as well as the only available manual locking hubs in its class. The Dodges have bad automatics, they are junk. The GMC's use IFS for their 4x4's they tend to sag pretty bad under load. Ford and Dodge still use a solid axle, but now with coil springs for an improved turning radius and higher payload. The '05 F-series have the highest available payload as well, 5800lbs. and 17,000lbs. conventional trailer towing capacity.

3. Seanl33

Seanl33 LawnSite Member
    from NH

Thanks I was looking at dodge a lot but now i will start to look at ford thank u

4. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I own a f250 now but my next truck will be a 2500hd. Nothing against ford, its been a good truck and I'll keep it for a couple more years but the new duramax is kicking butt and I've always been a diehard chevy guy, not a thing wrong with their trucks. Ford or chevy in my opinion is the best, seen too much go wrong with dodges in the past.

5. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

The question was kind of vague. There are many things to consider with all of these trucks. What engine, trans, ect. We use Dodge as a rule, except for 1 Chevy we picked up in a buy out. If Dodge is so bad as everyone makes them out to be, then why are our 6 80's era Dodges still working everyday with almost no trouble. I still drive a 1989 3/4 ton Dodge myself, and would put it up against anything else out there.

6. Smalltimer1

When we bought a new Ram about 10 years ago and the transmission died within the first month, and Dodge voided our warranty--that really turned us (everybody on the farm) against Dodge trucks, had to use Lemon Law on it to get them to buy it back. If we do have one, its because someone has loaned money for it, and usually they don't come back to pick it up or default on the loan, so we sell em as fast as we can, don't wanna get stuck with a hunk'a junk.

7. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

When i say the problems with dodge i mean the 96 and up, they are pure crap, i agree your 80's era ones are good stuff, all the older trucks were work horses. I just dislike the new ones, seen too many fuel and brake system problems along with engine/trans problems

8. Smalltimer1

I do agree, the pre-94 Dodges look better and are much more truck than the newer ones. The only thing I'd be leary of is overloading those trucks. The frames only have 3 crossmembers and are very small at that.

9. Seanl33

Seanl33 LawnSite Member
    from NH

WOW after reading some of the things said about dodge i will never own a dodge but here is my new question to all you guys that own the F250's about what do you get for gas millage? the reason i am asking is i saw this F250 that was a V10 - 6.8L If anybody has anything close to this please tell me how many miles you get per gallon

Thanks Sean

10. Smalltimer1

Mine with the 460 gets about 11-12 mpg empty, 9-10 loaded. The V-10 does slightly better at 13 unloaded and about 9-10 loaded.