Help quoting a digging job

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Gimp, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Gimp

Gimp LawnSite Member
    from Houston

I looked around a bit with the search function, so forgive me if I missed something about this. I have a lady that wants me to dig out various plants along the front and side of her house. There are a couple of bushes, and mostly tropical plants that will need to be dug out instead of pulled out.

I am having a hard time visualizing how long this is going to take or what the best tool would be to dig various plants out with. Should I just stick with a shovel? Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

there is so many factors for this. if the soil is hard or soft, if the bushes are older and have developed your going to have some fun digging out those roots.

3. Gimp

Gimp LawnSite Member
    from Houston

The soil is moderatly hard right now in Houston. We have had rain, but it is very packed near her house. The bushes are developed, and the base is appriox. 2.5 inches thick...

4. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Take a shovel and try to dig one - if you can get a spade all the way around the plant , it should pop out fairly well . But it does vary greatly based on plant type. Assume the reason they can't be pulled is the client wants to save them?

5. Gimp

Gimp LawnSite Member
    from Houston

They can be pulled. What is the best way? Thanks for the help...

6. Gimp

Gimp LawnSite Member
    from Houston

bump... Thoughts?