Help quoting a mulch job

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Honey Do Property Mgmt., Jun 24, 2008.

1. Honey Do Property Mgmt.

Honey Do Property Mgmt. LawnSite Member

Last weekend i did a 10 yard mulch job on a very expensive home in a very nice area and i need help on breaking down the charges for this job. She told me she was comfortable paying $2000 for this job plus the extras that i did. Any help on breaking this down would be greatly appreciated. I also sprayed the whole area i mulched, delivered the muclh and removed a barrel of sticks and debris. Thanks for any help and input. I want to make this look very professional because she is a great customer and loves my company.

2. Wideopen

Wideopen LawnSite Member

Do you mean break up the costs on the bill?

3. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

i wish i could make that much on mulch. i guess to really help we need to see the cost of the mulch. and w/e else you had in the project. also the amount of time involved, and number of men.

4. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

$2000 for 10 yds? Wow your laughing all the way to the bank. I would have a hard time justifying those charges. I charge $70 per yard. Includes mulch,delivery and nstallation. Myself and 1 laborer can do 10 yards in about 5 hours. COSTS:

$180 mulch
    $50 labor
    $20 gas

=$250 direct expenses
    10yds X $70 = $700 sales

$700 - $250 = $450 profit in 5 hours. Almost $100 per hour.

I couldnt justify $2000 but get it if you can.

5. Honey Do Property Mgmt.

Mulch is roughly $34 a yard, i had 3 men on the job and it took 4 hours with the spraying, mowing and mulching. I basically want to break down the cost to show her what she is getting charged for. I use quickbooks so it itemizes everything and lists the costs. thanks for your responses fellas!

6. Honey Do Property Mgmt.

Trust me i know, i usually get between 70 to 100 per yard max. Thats why im in a rut as far as billing.

7. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Mulching $700

Sprayin $300

Mowing $1000

PS. try to find mulch cheaper.. I pay $18yd

8. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Hard to make that bill look legit dont you think? Spraying needs lic as well!

9. Sal200

Sal200 LawnSite Member

Is that 18 per yard the cost of the brown mulch or red or black. I get my brown mulch for 20 per yard and red and black at 30.

10. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

i pay 20 or 28 per yard no matter what color.